MPH in Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotherstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I am wondering if a MPH degree in Europe carries equal value as a MPH that is awarded in the states or Canada? In particular, does anyone know if the International Masters of Public Health Programme at the Lund University is any good? Thanks. Any answer would be great help.

Members don't see this ad.

anotherstudent said:
Hello there,

I am wondering if a MPH degree in Europe carries equal value as a MPH that is awarded in the states or Canada? In particular, does anyone know if the International Masters of Public Health Programme at the Lund University is any good? Thanks. Any answer would be great help.

I'm not familiar with that program. However, as the MPH is essentially a North American invention, I doubt that a European MPH would carry as much weight as an MPH from a prestigious North American school.

Miklos

I don't know about which carries more weight; that probably depends on where you want to use it.

At my school (University of Copenhagen) it's a two year full-time degree; it's not something you take while in residency as I've read about on SDN. It's my impression that most of the students are nurses, although I'm not really sure.

Whenever someone asks about schools in Europe, I can't help wonder if they speak a language other than English.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how I missed the Lund part of your post (since your post was like 20 words long.....)

Without bragging us up too much, if it's Scandinavian it's usually a solid and well-respected degree, no doubt about that.

But then...... Pratar du svanska or is it taught in English?

BellKicker said:
I don't know how I missed the Lund part of your post (since your post was like 20 words long.....)

Without bragging us up too much, if it's Scandinavian it's usually a solid and well-respected degree, no doubt about that.

But then...... Pratar du svanska or is it taught in English?

The course will be taught in English and it seems that the program is quite new at the Lund University? The thing is I would love to have the opportunity to go aboard to study but am worrying if that would become a "bad thing" when I try to get a job back in Canada.

And, yes, I do speak another language. I speak Cantonese, although I cannot read Chinese very well...

Thanks for your help.

Cantonese :) (I suppose that's spoken by maybe 25 times more people than all three Scandinavian languages combined, so good for you.)

I hope you're kidding about status in Canada. If you go through all the crap it takes to study abroad, and even go to a more-than-decent school, you would probably get more cool points than someone who stayed in Canada.

It's not like it's the actual MD degree. Now THAT would make a big difference. :eek:

****, that makes me think about how many pre-med Americans are here right now, trying to spice up their med school applications with some studying abroad.

Plus you'd have fun and get to see a foreign country. I'd do it if I were you.

Thanks Bellkicker. :)

Sorry, I was very clear about what I meant by bad thing. Just worried if the material learned outside of Canada can be applied in Canada the same way .. I guess it should!

Not trying to get a MD though. Being a doctor is not my cup of tea.