MPH, MPH/MBA, thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasgasgas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on whether it's worthwhile to pursue MPH or MPH/MBA? I've been out in private practice for about 6 months and can't stand the amount of patients I see seeking the Holy Trinity combo (Hydrocodone/BZD/Soma) and will be moving to academics as soon as my credentialing goes through. My question is that even before doing residency, I've been interested in public health (cultural, global) and specifically now the problem with opioid abuse (btw watched the movie Life Before Death, pretty cool movie about cancer pain, opioid abuse, etc.). Anyway, so is it worthwhile to pursue an MPH in this? I'd like to be more involved in legislature (state or beyond level) and do research once I start back in academics. There's a program where I live that I can pursue this part-time while working, and another program contacted me recently asking if I'd be interested in a dual degree, MPH/MBA (but the cost of that is over 40K!)

Anyone have any thoughts on this and whether it's even worth my time and investment?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to Alex Cahana @ UW.

Coming from a MD, MBA (real 2 year full-time program)--
A MPH or MBA from a local school is a total waste--especially for what you want to do. Your medical degree and clinical experience is more than enough. These degrees do not offer a unique skill set and there are no barriers to entry for which they are necessary. There is a reason that every school offers an online MBA or executive MBA now--it is a cash cow for the school and leaves you with nothing but debt. These degrees look impressive to those that do not have them; those that do have them know there is a ton of bs associated with them.

If you go to one of the top MBA or MPH programs it may make a little more sense. This is not necessarily because of a better education but more due to the connections you make.

Members don't see this ad :)
For someone who wants to do academics though?

I have several colleagues that are in academic medicine (not pain) for which the MPH was crucial to ultimately advancing to associate professorship, because of the improved knowledge with regards to stats etc.

They all did the Program after they got into the academic job, however, not before, to respond to OP

For someone who wants to do academics though?

I have several colleagues that are in academic medicine (not pain) for which the MPH was crucial to ultimately advancing to associate professorship, because of the improved knowledge with regards to stats etc.

They all did the Program after they got into the academic job, however, not before, to respond to OP

Agree that one of these degrees would likely help with academic rank, but is the cost worth it? Maybe they will have tuition assistance at your new academic job... If you want to learn more stats auditing a course or two could be an option as well without the monetary/time commitment of a full degree program.
I guess the 'waste' comment was harsh--just make sure you know what you are getting into.

Agree that one of these degrees would likely help with academic rank, but is the cost worth it? Maybe they will have tuition assistance at your new academic job... If you want to learn more stats auditing a course or two could be an option as well without the monetary/time commitment of a full degree program.
I guess the 'waste' comment was harsh--just make sure you know what you are getting into.
I agree with the waste comment...

At some point you have to stop thinking about how your cv looks and start doing things that will be flat-out useful. Will you really learn something practical that you can't learn from the internet? Whether or not some academic approves of how many letters follow your name, is just not worth worrying about at this point IMHO. I think the only question should be: Is the skill and knowledge you will obtain worth the time and money invested? Attempting to gain favor of some bureaucrat academic is unworthy of your time/money. If it's free tuition and you have nothing better to do, then maybe, what the hell.

I agree with the waste comment...

At some point you have to stop thinking about how your cv looks and start doing things that will be flat-out useful. Will you really learn something practical that you can't learn from the internet? Whether or not some academic approves of how many letters follow your name, is just not worth worrying about at this point IMHO. I think the only question should be: Is the skill and knowledge you will obtain worth the time and money invested? Attempting to gain favor of some bureaucrat academic is unworthy of your time/money. If it's free tuition and you have nothing better to do, then maybe, what the hell.

No offense taken to the waste comment, but yes that was my question, whether it's worth the time and $$$... I don't really care about adding this or that to my CV but is the time invested worth what i will get out of it.

If you are really interested in academia you will benefit from the MPH.

If you are really interested in academia you will benefit from the MPH.

i wouldnt do it before going into academic medicine - do it if you decide you are going to be in the research track, or the research-admin track.

i was on the clinician-teacher track throughout my ED career - an MPH would have done nothing but provide headaches.

i wouldnt do it before going into academic medicine - do it if you decide you are going to be in the research track, or the research-admin track.

i was on the clinician-teacher track throughout my ED career - an MPH would have done nothing but provide headaches.

I was considering doing it while working, as I have 1-2 nonclinical days/wk.

There's an MPH program locally I can do part time, and there's also online MPH/MBA which is costlier and I'm assuming not as reputable being that it's online; people really look at where you got the degree from. Any guidance on good programs to look at specifically?

As Ducttape suggested; do it as a part of your academic job. Negotiate it as a part of signing. Don't cut corners and due an abreviated or internet program. Part of the value of the title will be who you worked with.

As we move away from FFS most of the important questions in medicine are going to be answered
through data analysis. A good MPH program will teach you how to ask, and answer those questions using EMB.