MPH? Program matriculating into Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blee321

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted into Ross but I just found out that as for St. Georges I have two options. I can either "resit the MCAT and take 3-4 upper/graduate level courses in the biomedicalsciences to then be reassessed for the August 2005 MD program or, two, you may opt to begin the MPH track to MD program with us in June of this year.With this you would complete a one-year MPH program and should you obtain a 3.5 GPA at the end of the program you would be promoted to the School ofMedicine in August of 2006." What should I do? I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with St. Georges MPH program or if I should just forget about St. Georges and go with Ross which would put me imediately into a Med Program.

Sincerely
Brian

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like it's more of a question of if St. George's is worth the risk/time vs Ross... and that might be better answered in a different forum.

the MPH is a small bonus, which if you really wanted, you could always get later... there's several threads that talk about the benefits/disadvantages of doing the MPH during various points of medical training.

Hi blee,

I'll tell you what I tell most people thinking about getting an MPH: do you really want it? If not, don't waste your time getting a degree that you're probably not going to use just to get into medical school. If you truly have a sincere interest in it though, as dlung mentioned, then taking the year to get the advanced degree would not be a bad idea.

I understand that taking the MCAT again is not optimal, and if you think it is worthwhile to do a Master's degree instead to fast track into school, well, you should do what you feel is best for you.

I am curious though, why do you prefer St. George's over Ross?

Best of luck,
H&T