1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. ...............

#1 Deleted member 237747, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TexasPhysician

Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes you can find a job with this degree, and yes it can help you get into med school if your gpa is significantly better. There are other masters programs out there that guarantee you acceptance to their med school if you maintain a certain gpa. You'll have to look for those though. Otherwise consider D.O. schools. I'm still wary of the Caribbean schools though....just a personal thing. Good luck

4. eagle34

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think that just doing an MPH degree and then getting a job with it with a 2.7 undergrad GPA will be too much help. You need to show med schools that you can do well in science classes, not MPH classes. If you're graduating with 2.7 GPA (or even around 3.1-3.3), I think you need to raise the GPA with upper level science classes...that is, complete a Post-Bac Program or get a GMS degree (several schools over it, such as BU). Overall, with 2.7, it'll be hard getting into any medical school, be it allopathic or D.O.

5. ........................

#4 Deleted member 237747, Dec 18, 2008
  6. thedelicatessen

thedelicatessen In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Public health is a great field, but having an MPH doesn't really make up for a low GPA, especially if you're struggling in the sciences. You might try the SDN postbacc forum (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71) to learn more about the master's programs that can compensate for a low GPA to boost your med school app. I guess first you need to decide which direction you want your career planning to go. Good luck!

7. .......................

#6 Deleted member 237747, Dec 18, 2008
  8. thedelicatessen

thedelicatessen In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    From what I remember from my days as a premed reading through the SDN pre-allo forums, graduate degree courses don't count towards your undergrad GPA calculation, which is perhaps one of the biggest factors considered during the admissions process. I would suggest going to the pre-allo forums for more info (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10).