mph - sgu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeesapeesa

anesthesiologist southern california
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anybody know how the mph program is at sgu? how many go on to the md program by getting the 3.5 + dean letter?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you remember that the MPH is not accredited in the US, so it is mainly a way to get into the MD program. It really helps to be interested in the administrative side of medicine.

As far as I know, you get into the medical program if you finish with the 3.5+ in MPH.

does anybody know how the mph program is at sgu? how many go on to the md program by getting the 3.5 + dean letter?

I actually did the MPH program at SGU before going on to the MD program. The good news is everyone in my class made the 3.5 and went on to the med school. So did everyone in the following class except for one person. She made a 3.0 and ended up going to Ross. You'll have to work pretty hard in the MPH program, especially if you want to make the 3.5, but I think you'll like it. In any case, it will make you more well-rounded as a physician. Keep in mind that not only do you have to get a 3.5, but you also have to do a public health practicum and write what is know as a capstone paper. Its sort of like a thesis paper on a public health topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually did the MPH program at SGU before going on to the MD program. The good news is everyone in my class made the 3.5 and went on to the med school. So did everyone in the following class except for one person. She made a 3.0 and ended up going to Ross. You'll have to work pretty hard in the MPH program, especially if you want to make the 3.5, but I think you'll like it. In any case, it will make you more well-rounded as a physician. Keep in mind that not only do you have to get a 3.5, but you also have to do a public health practicum and write what is know as a capstone paper. Its sort of like a thesis paper on a public health topic.

so there is no quota? i mean, if everybody had a 3.5, everybody can get into medical school? sounds like a good deal. the classes sound like they're interesting and i'm looking forward to it.

so there is no quota? i mean, if everybody had a 3.5, everybody can get into medical school? sounds like a good deal. the classes sound like they're interesting and i'm looking forward to it.

No quota that I ever heard of. I mean, the class of MPH students going for the MD program only consists of 3-8 students at a time, usually.

Given that the MPH is earned outside the U.S. how is it viewed by residencies, potential employers? Do you think you will ever use the knowledge you acquired?

I just wanted to let you know that I am in my last term of SGU's MPH program, and I am also currently the class president of the Public Health Student Association. There is no quota for how many people move on to medicine. If you get a 3.5, you are in. I think there was only one student out of around forty in the last class that didn't make the cut-off. Also, in regards to the accrediting, we are one of five international schools that have been invited by the organization that accredits U.S. Public Health schools to apply for accreditation. The first three schools have already been approved and now are accredited, and now SGU is currently "up to bat". It usually takes a year or two for the process to be completed. Every class that has begun while the accreditation process is underway is automatically grandfathered in under the accreditation, so in regards to being more competitive for residencies, my class and all those that follow will have an accredited MPH degree, assuming the accreditation goes smoothly, which it should. Any SGU MPH classes previous to mine may also have their degrees accredited, but that is still up in the air.

Given that the MPH is earned outside the U.S. how is it viewed by residencies, potential employers? Do you think you will ever use the knowledge you acquired?

Some residency directors find it a point of interest. As to whether I'll ever use the public health knowledge, I'm going into internal medicine, so it may come in useful. Who knows?