MPH vs. MBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaiderNation

Recently Reinstated
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you consider to be more effective in terms of being competitive to professional school, ie medical, dental, etc....Masters of Biomedical Science or Masters of Public Health?

Members don't see this ad.

MB in SD said:
Interesting. I thought that an MBS would look better because you are actually taking classes that will be in the first year of professional school whereas the MPH has alot of other classes that do not appear in professional school curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
RaiderNation said:
Interesting. I thought that an MBS would look better because you are actually taking classes that will be in the first year of professional school whereas the MPH has alot of other classes that do not appear in professional school curriculum.

it depends on your reasons for getting a masters. An MPH is a good supplement to an MD degree, but it does not replace a lacklustre undergrad GPA. if you are looking for something to impress adcoms, or show them you can handle the course load, the masters in science is definately the way to go. Why? because although public health is related to medicine and is quite an interesting feild of study, the course load is not as challenging as a science masters. On the other hand if you are simply looking for something to do during your lag year (assuming all other aspects of your application are solid), the mph might not be a bad idea. it all depends on your motives. Hope this helps.

jasmynediva said:
it depends on your reasons for getting a masters. An MPH is a good supplement to an MD degree, but it does not replace a lacklustre undergrad GPA. if you are looking for something to impress adcoms, or show them you can handle the course load, the masters in science is definately the way to go. Why? because although public health is related to medicine and is quite an interesting feild of study, the course load is not as challenging as a science masters. On the other hand if you are simply looking for something to do during your lag year (assuming all other aspects of your application are solid), the mph might not be a bad idea. it all depends on your motives. Hope this helps.
I concur.

I emailed a bunch of schools and most said that it either didn't matter which one you did or they preferred the biomedical sciences.