2025-2026 WMed MBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

itsTuesday!

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I thought I'd make this to share updates about applying to the MBS Program. The application opened yesterday, so I thought this would be useful.

Pulled from last year's thread: Also, if anyone has ANY information about the application process please feel free to share; number of interviews, dates applicants are traditionally notified, number of people asked to apply, etc. Anything is appreciated.
 
From their program office, they have scheduled a webinar for prospective applicants (Registration link).
  • We offer full-tuition scholarships for the MBS program to each student who matriculates, thanks to a generous gift from The Jon Stryker and Slobodan Ranjelovic scholarship fund.
  • Students accepted to the Master of Biomedical Sciences program are conditionally accepted to the MD program for the following year.
  • Cohorts are small. We expect to enroll 6-8 students per year.
  • The Curriculum runs alongside MD students, and instruction is provided by medical school faculty.
  • Priority is given to applicants who are first-generation college students, have strong ties to Southwest Michigan, have overcome adversity, and/or are socio-economically disadvantaged.
 
From their program office, they have scheduled a webinar for prospective applicants (Registration link).
  • We offer full-tuition scholarships for the MBS program to each student who matriculates, thanks to a generous gift from The Jon Stryker and Slobodan Ranjelovic scholarship fund.
  • Students accepted to the Master of Biomedical Sciences program are conditionally accepted to the MD program for the following year.
  • Cohorts are small. We expect to enroll 6-8 students per year.
  • The Curriculum runs alongside MD students, and instruction is provided by medical school faculty.
  • Priority is given to applicants who are first-generation college students, have strong ties to Southwest Michigan, have overcome adversity, and/or are socio-economically disadvantaged.
This is incredibly helpful, thank you, Mr. Smile!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From their program office, they have scheduled a webinar for prospective applicants (Registration link).
  • We offer full-tuition scholarships for the MBS program to each student who matriculates, thanks to a generous gift from The Jon Stryker and Slobodan Ranjelovic scholarship fund.
  • Students accepted to the Master of Biomedical Sciences program are conditionally accepted to the MD program for the following year.
  • Cohorts are small. We expect to enroll 6-8 students per year.
  • The Curriculum runs alongside MD students, and instruction is provided by medical school faculty.
  • Priority is given to applicants who are first-generation college students, have strong ties to Southwest Michigan, have overcome adversity, and/or are socio-economically disadvantaged.
Hello, Mr. Smile, I just looked at the registration link you have provided, and it says it's for advisors. Do you think it would be appropriate if I, as a prospective student, applied for it? Thank you in advance!
 
Is anyone else attending the information session tomorrow? I'm curious if they'll talk about how many people they "invite" to apply. I know that recently they have opened this program up to applicants who are not in the amcas cycle. I'd be curious to know how many apply as a direct applicant vs invited applicant and the matriculation data.

(If anyone lurks from previous cycles in here and knows the answers, I'd love your input!)
 
I will be joining it but it seems that they removed mention of it on their website and I never recieved an email to join to session. Is it still happening today?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone get an email noting that their application was under review yet? When i completed my application, I got an email from WMed stating that they would send another email when they are actually reading it.
 
Did anyone get an email noting that their application was under review yet? When i completed my application, I got an email from WMed stating that they would send another email when they are actually reading it.
The email I received after notifying them that I wished to be considered said exactly this: "We will be reviewing applications for the MBS program late March through late May, and will be in touch by email with any updates to your MBS application status."

So I don't know if they tell you when they are actually reviewing your application.
 
The email I received after notifying them that I wished to be considered said exactly this: "We will be reviewing applications for the MBS program late March through late May, and will be in touch by email with any updates to your MBS application status."

So I don't know if they tell you when they are actually reviewing your application.

Oh interesting! I applied directly, and I received this in my email after:

“For the next step, we will review the experiences section of your application. You will recieve a notification email from us once your application is under review. You may follow your application status in your WMed applicant portal.”

So, I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven’t heard anything from them- but I did email and they stated:
Thanks for reaching out. You remain under consideration for the MBS program. Application review and interviews are ongoing, and all applicants will receive a final decision by the end of May.

Best,

Val Horwath
Director of Admissions
 
Has anyone that interviewed heard back yet? I interviewed early April, but haven’t heard back yet!!
I interviewed early April as well. Nothing yet. Hopefully in the next few weeks!
Exciting! How were the interviews? Any tips or insights are much appreciated!! (No pressure though, totally understandable if you don't feel comfortable sharing)
I haven’t heard anything from them- but I did email and they stated:
Thanks for reaching out. You remain under consideration for the MBS program. Application review and interviews are ongoing, and all applicants will receive a final decision by the end of May.

Best,

Val Horwath
Director of Admissions
Thank you for giving us this update!!
 
Exciting! How were the interviews? Any tips or insights are much appreciated!! (No pressure though, totally understandable if you don't feel comfortable sharing)

Thank you for giving us this update!!
The interview was great!!! it honestly felt a lot like a med school interview. You’ll hear the typical questions, like why medicine? and things along those lines, as well as how the program would benefit you. The interview is with two faculty members and a med student who graduated from the program. It was pretty short, only about 30 minutes, and you’ll have around 5 minutes at the end to ask questions.
 
The interview was great!!! it honestly felt a lot like a med school interview. You’ll hear the typical questions, like why medicine? and things along those lines, as well as how the program would benefit you. The interview is with two faculty members and a med student who graduated from the program. It was pretty short, only about 30 minutes, and you’ll have around 5 minutes at the end to ask questions.
Thank you so much!! This is incredibly helpful! best of luck!!
 
The interview was great!!! it honestly felt a lot like a med school interview. You’ll hear the typical questions, like why medicine? and things along those lines, as well as how the program would benefit you. The interview is with two faculty members and a med student who graduated from the program. It was pretty short, only about 30 minutes, and you’ll have around 5 minutes at the end to ask questions.
Hi! Out of curiosity when did you apply?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think they’ll be sending out more interview invitations?
Last year they had their cohort & waitlist finalized by 5/14, and they said for this year they will have decisions made by the end of May.

Wishing the best for those who have interviews and good luck to the rest of us~