MRI Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Windstalker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a first year resident from Sweden who recently started my MRI rotations. To get a better grasp of the MRI physics I've watched dr Michael Lipton's "Introducing MRI-series" on youtube, which offers a really good explaination. Because of this im thinking about buying his book "Totally Accessible MRI", but im worried that it might be outdated (from 2008)? I mean, the physics wont be, but in 10+ years there are new methods both in general and more specific such as EPImix and synthetic MRI. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Man, as a first year resident I cant imagine how understanding ADVANCED MRI techniques/protocols/theory will help you. Focus on getting the basics of imaging/diagnoses/anatomy down first. Dr. Lipton's video series is great and covers basic to intermediate MRI concepts in great depth and will provide you with 99.9% of the physics you'll need to know for an MRI rotation. It covers the same material of most of the popular basic MR books. Also, its completely adequate prep to answer questions correctly on the CORE exam(assuming you're training in the US, otherwise disregard). It's also honestly slightly beyond what a radiologist needs to know practicing in the US. Now if you're getting a PhD or will be doing extensive advanced MRI research in academics down the road then great, otherwise you're just wasting your time.