MS-3 in Ob/Gyn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cards21aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm starting my 3rd year clerkships this coming week and I start out with Ob/Gyn. The way our campus works is that they assign you a couple of sub-specialities for a month and then spend the rest of your time doing general OB (I'm not really sure of the difference, but hence the posting of this).

I'm really nervous about how to approach the entire field because, as a guy, well, I just don't have that much experience with Ob or Gyn. I start out with 2 weeks on a service called "Urogynecology." and then do my OB training with Labor/deliver, post-partum maternity, etc.

Is there any resources or advice that ANYONE could offer to a completely nervous, fresh off of Step 1 guy, so that he doesn't bumble around for 2 months?

Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting my 3rd year clerkships this coming week and I start out with Ob/Gyn. The way our campus works is that they assign you a couple of sub-specialities for a month and then spend the rest of your time doing general OB (I'm not really sure of the difference, but hence the posting of this).

I'm really nervous about how to approach the entire field because, as a guy, well, I just don't have that much experience with Ob or Gyn. I start out with 2 weeks on a service called "Urogynecology." and then do my OB training with Labor/deliver, post-partum maternity, etc.

Is there any resources or advice that ANYONE could offer to a completely nervous, fresh off of Step 1 guy, so that he doesn't bumble around for 2 months?

Very few schools teach anything of real substance about either OB/gyn or peds....so these are often the two hardest rotations for students (of both genders).

So, for starters:

The way our campus works is that they assign you a couple of sub-specialities for a month and then spend the rest of your time doing general OB (I'm not really sure of the difference, but hence the posting of this).

OB/gyn has a lot of "parts" to it. There is Obstetrics (delivering babies), there is Gynecology (treatment of the pelvic organs). A general OB/gyn does a little bit of everything - delivers babies, may do hysterectomies, oopherectomies, D&Cs, and will also see patients in the clinic (pap smears, birth control distribution, menstrual disorders, etc.)

Then, just like general Internal Medicine can subspecialize further into cardiology, pulmonology, GI, nephrology, etc., OB/gyn has a few subspecialties as well.

* Urogynecology: specializes in treatment of urinary flow disorders in the context of OB/gyn. They treat urinary incontinence, uterine prolapse, bladder prolapse, etc. There is a fair amount of overlap with urology. Very surgical field.

* Gynecology Oncology ("Gyn Onc"): specializes in the treatment of gynecological cancers - cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, etc. Also a VERY surgical field.

* Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM): High risk obstetrics.

* Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI): specialize in the treatment of infertility and other reproductive disorders.

Urogyn, in my opinion, is a good service to start out on. It's very surgical, but not as fast-paced or as chaotic as Labor and Delivery.

To start with: review your pelvic anatomy. What are the things (ligaments, other organs, bones) that prop the uterus up and prevent it from falling out? What are the structures that maintain continence? I found these surgeries hard to follow because the anatomy is often distorted beyond all recognition (I'd never seen an inside-out vagina before), but I think that going over Netter again can really help solidify what you're seeing.

During orientation, they should teach you how to scrub before cases, and how to tie surgical knots.

Treat urogyn, and OB/gyn, as if you were on a surgery rotation. Be active, and seek out opportunities - because the residents are usually too busy to walk you through everything. So all the advice that people give before surgery rotations (i.e. read up on the cases the night before, review the anatomy, etc.) is relevant here.

Hopefully this helps a little bit....

In addition to the wonderful advice above:

Get a copy of BluePrints for Obstetrics & Gynecology, as it provides a quick and basic overview of the specialty to get you going. For the purpose of the shelf you can use a more detailed text, but this will give you a quick insight to get you over the anxiety.

Secondly, we all have been there and know how anxious students are on the first MS3 rotation. So relax, and enjoy the luxury of coming in with interns and learning the basics as that is the focus during July/August.

Best of luck!

Secondly, we all have been there and know how anxious students are on the first MS3 rotation. So relax, and enjoy the luxury of coming in with interns and learning the basics as that is the focus during July/August.

Best of luck!

Yes, now you are increasing my anxiety. To the OP, I will be a new intern as of next week and I can somewhat sympathize with your fear. It should be fine though.