Mistasunshine

2+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Very interested in plastics after my surgery rotation. Do I have enough research experience in plastics to show my commitment or should I take a research year? I have 2 research experiences in OBGYN, 6 in plastics, 6 in ENT, 1 in EM. Also am graduating from a new MD school so feel like I need to prove my worth/stand out. Don't have my step score as we take it after clinicals at our school. Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated! Thanks! (Edit: 1 pub in ENT, 1 in plastics)

LateNightChef

5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2015
Status
  1. Medical Student
Really just depends on your Step score. If you're 250+ I don't think you have to as long as you do well on rotations and get good letters. If you're 240-249 or below, I'd probably take a research year unless you just have good connections

Reactions: 1 user

Medstart108

7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2012
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
You have enough research that I don't think it matters. Pubs that are pending and even research projects count, don't discount those. I don't think research would be your area of weakness if you didn't match.

Yankees27

Membership Revoked
Removed
Mar 24, 2020
Status
  1. Non-Student
The question of whether one should take off for a year in research is not as simple as it sounds. You have to look at your entire app. ( Step scores, clinical, AOA, commitment to plastics, etc.), and then decide. What the two prior responses failed to address is that, a year-long fellowship shows a strong commitment to plastics and the fact that you will have exposure to some of the big names in academics(Letters if you do well), provided you go to a well-known program. Sure, a lot of people with great scores can match, but will those score be enough to match at a top 20?

At the end of the day, research can only help, certainly not hinder your chances at a big time program. If you want to enter academics, you will likely want to do a 1-2 year fellowship, ideally between MS3-4.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads