MS at UMDNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angel dust

Pre-Dental Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, been looking at masters programs at UMDNJ. wanted to do the masters of science in biomedical science for pre-dent students. was wondering if anyone knew whether or not it was a good prog. or not. and whether anyone has attended it and could give me some insite on it. I don't know much about the program thought i could get another peer's view on it.

thanx much.

Members don't see this ad.

hey,

finished up my last classes last week so i guess i can add the Msc to my last name now...

the program-- ur gonna be taking dental physio and dental biochem for sure since ur pre-dental... those classes are w/ the first year NJDS students...the teachers are good, always responded to any question i had really quickly... in my experience, the dental students kept to themselves... never talked to the grad students in the class and when I asked some of them if they had old exams for physio to help me study (my cousin who graduated from there told me there's always old exams floating around), they told me they didnt have them...

those 2 classes and a seminar are the only required classes... then theres a bunch of other classes u can take... i stuck with as many classes that dental students would take, ex- i took histology, immunology, pharmacology, neuroscience...

i would recommend taking the dental physio class and the histology class together since they're related and a lot of times the physio teachers mention histology stuff...

it is a good program overall, but dont expect it to really make a difference with NJDS when u apply again... lilke i said, the dean told me to get B's in my classes and i would get in... well, i just graduated from there with close a B+ avg as well as letters of recs from teachers that teach both at the graduate school and dental school... when i met with the dean again (not an interview) in oct for this cycle, I was basically given the run around (NJDS is so much more competitive now than it was when i first talked to him in spring '04 and he'll TRY to get me an interview to state my case)... i havent heard a single word from there since that meeting...

if u got any questions regarding classes, just reply and i'll get back to u and good luck...

gel1681 said:
hey,

i went UMDNJ's GSBS b/c i messed up during undergrad and finished w/ a B-...
talked to the dean of admissions there and told me if i go and get B's i would get in NJDS... so i enrolled there...

finished up my last classes last week so i guess i can add the Msc to my last name now...

the program-- ur gonna be taking dental physio and dental biochem for sure since ur pre-dental... those classes are w/ the first year NJDS students...the teachers are good, always responded to any question i had really quickly... in my experience, the dental students kept to themselves... never talked to the grad students in the class and when I asked some of them if they had old exams for physio to help me study (my cousin who graduated from there told me there's always old exams floating around), they told me they didnt have them...

those 2 classes and a seminar are the only required classes... then theres a bunch of other classes u can take... i stuck with as many classes that dental students would take, ex- i took histology, immunology, pharmacology, neuroscience...

i would recommend taking the dental physio class and the histology class together since they're related and a lot of times the physio teachers mention histology stuff...

it is a good program overall, but dont expect it to really make a difference with NJDS when u apply again... lilke i said, the dean told me to get B's in my classes and i would get in... well, i just graduated from there with close to a B+ avg (3.4) and have a 21AA/20TS/21PAT as well as letters of recs from teachers that teach both at the graduate school and dental school... when i met with the dean again (not an interview) in oct for this cycle, I was basically given the run around (NJDS is so much more competitive now than it was when i first talked to him in spring '04 and he'll TRY to get me an interview to state my case)... i havent heard a single word from there since that meeting...

if u got any questions regarding classes, just reply and i'll get back to u and good luck...

how long did it take you to finish the program? I haven't applied for dental school yet so do you think it might make a difference? the reason i'm trying to get into the program is because i messed up during my undergrad too. i'll be finishing my spring semester and graduation in May. I hope to get into that program for the fall and take my DAT this summer and hopefully i'll be done with the program by the time my applicatoin has gone through. tell me what ya think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Normally its 3 semesters... I know one guy thats doing it in 2 semesters, but he's been a nervous wreck all semester long and not doing very well, so unless u REALLY know u can do 4-5 science classes at once w/ good grades, i suggest sticking w/ the 3 semesters...

u would start fall 06, send your application out in june 07, finish ur last semester, and then update it again..

if NJDS is ur favorite choice, i also suggest doing the gateway to dentistry program they offer there in januarys and junes...u get to familiarize urself with the school and, more importantly, introduce yourself to people that may become part of the admissions committee...

also, when u join the program, try setting up a meeting with the dean at NJDS. meet with him to tell him how ur interested in the school and so forth... if he tells you all u need are b's and u'll get in, DONT listen... go for the 4.0 to make sure u get in...

gel1681 said:
Normally its 3 semesters... I know one guy thats doing it in 2 semesters, but he's been a nervous wreck all semester long and not doing very well, so unless u REALLY know u can do 4-5 science classes at once w/ good grades, i suggest sticking w/ the 3 semesters...

u would start fall 06, send your application out in june 07, finish ur last semester, and then update it again..

if NJDS is ur favorite choice, i also suggest doing the gateway to dentistry program they offer there in januarys and junes...u get to familiarize urself with the school and, more importantly, introduce yourself to people that may become part of the admissions committee...

also, when u join the program, try setting up a meeting with the dean at NJDS. meet with him to tell him how ur interested in the school and so forth... if he tells you all u need are b's and u'll get in, DONT listen... go for the 4.0 to make sure u get in...

what did you use for your test scores? the GRE or the DAT and how well did you do on them? How well should you do on them?

angel dust said:
what did you use for your test scores? the GRE or the DAT and how well did you do on them? How well should you do on them?

I took the GREs the june before I started... i think u can get in with DAT scores instead, but I'm not sure... i got a 1420 on the GREs and 19AA/18TS/19PAT the first time i took the DATs... i'm not sure how well u need to do on either, but I think that any competitive score (18 DAT scores) would definately get u in the program...

Whenever the deans tell you and promise you spots or interviews at their school if you maintain good grades, I would take it with a grain of salt.

Just like gel1681 said above, I did a mesters program at BU (masters in medical sciecne). It was program geared for med students who messed up in under grad and wanted to take first year med/dent school classes (physio, histo, immuno, biochem) and boost their GPA.

The dean told us at orientation that students who get good grades will be automatically interviewed at BU Med school. A few of my friends got all A's and A-'s and at the end of the year got SHAFTED! Got the same run around, it's more competitive this year and that they will still try to help. In the end they spent 30K on tuition but had to wait another year and reaply.

These programs know that you are there because you messed up and need to improve your grades! Realize that, get good grades there, get good letter of rec, but don't expect an invite or even an interview.

Good luck.