MS Healthcare Management salary/job outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rh79

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking to graduate 2 years early and fast track into a masters of science in healthcare management.

I attend UT-Dallas, (rated #22 best MBA school)- nothing special and would be getting my masters there as I have a full tuition scholarship for 8 semesters.

I have been unable to find reliable information regarding the job market/salary expectation for such a degree.

Can someone please tell me what I can expect to earn out of college, what my hours will be, job options, mid-career salary, lifestyle, etc? My school's career center kinda sucks and they were unable to provide me with much information.

Should I get an MBA along with my MS? It would only 27 more hours to do a MS/MBA. However, I would have to end up paying for school because my scholarship would run out.

Members don't see this ad.

How much would it cost you and how much debt overall would you end up with in each scenario?

MS healthcare management- free. After I finish my undergraduate I'll have 4 semesters of free tuition left and will definitely be able to finish on time. Probably finish a semester early or so.

MS and MBA - Probably less than $20k.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm looking to graduate 2 years early and fast track into a masters of science in healthcare management.

I attend UT-Dallas, (rated #22 best MBA school)- nothing special and would be getting my masters there as I have a full tuition scholarship for 8 semesters.

I have been unable to find reliable information regarding the job market/salary expectation for such a degree.

Can someone please tell me what I can expect to earn out of college, what my hours will be, job options, mid-career salary, lifestyle, etc? My school's career center kinda sucks and they were unable to provide me with much information.

Should I get an MBA along with my MS? It would only 27 more hours to do a MS/MBA. However, I would have to end up paying for school because my scholarship would run out.

Where are you looking to work? Many employers in Texas have a preference for "MHA" graduates from Trinity in San Antonio, Baylor (MBA Healthcare), and Texas A&M. I'd investigate the alumni network (LinkedIn is an easy way) and find out about the reputation of the MS program with local employers.

The program at UT-Dallas isn't CAHME accredited so that is something else to consider. These are the CAHME accredited programs in Texas:
Army-Baylor University, Baylor University, Texas A&M, Texas State University--San Marcos, Texas Tech, Texas Woman's University, & Trinity University

Can someone please tell me what I can expect to earn out of college, what my hours will be, job options, mid-career salary, lifestyle, etc?

This is just a guesstimate, but with no relevant experience and without obtaining a fellowship you should expect to earn $40K in Texas, work 8a-5p, and find a position within hospitals or health plans.

As far as mid-career that all depends what you make of it. Some people stay in similar positions while other rise to the rank of COO within 10yrs.

Ouch. That starting salary sounds pretty terrible haha. I would attend graduate school elsewhere, but the free tuition is hard to pass up, plus I really do like it here.

Are there any post-degree tracks I can do to increase my earning potential?

Ouch. That starting salary sounds pretty terrible haha. I would attend graduate school elsewhere, but the free tuition is hard to pass up, plus I really do like it here.

Are there any post-degree tracks I can do to increase my earning potential?

a 1-2yr administrative fellowship. Many in Texas pay $40-55K and afterward the positions attained by fellows tend to pay $65K+.

How does an MPH grad compare to those with bachelors?

Anyone know anything else about the degree?

Anyone know anything else about the degree?

The way I figure it, if a high salary is what you desire. Get a MBA or CS degree and go work for a corporation/start your own business.

As stated previously, 1-2 year administrative fellowships pay ~50k, give or take 5k. If you don't completely screw up, fellows are typically hired by the hospital. Based on friends in California and NY, pay jumps up to ~80k as a new low/mid-level manager (remember pay is generally higher in these geographic areas...).

If you go the consulting route, you may make 60-70k starting out, but you'll work much longer hours than a fellowship (Depends on the lifestyle you desire). However, these positions are fairly competitive, because you're competing against MBAs.

You could apply for government positions too. Get the Presidential Management Fellows position, start ~45-50k, with 10k non-taxed loan repayment for max of 3 years. Basically, you will be in Washington, DC (awesome city!), work for 3 years at DHHS, eliminate 30k from your loans without affecting your own salary pay.

Or go work for a non-profit/NGO, love your work, save some deserving people, make a low salary, but live a fulfilling life.

It is all up to you.

You could apply for government positions too. Get the Presidential Management Fellows position, start ~45-50k, with 10k non-taxed loan repayment for max of 3 years. Basically, you will be in Washington, DC (awesome city!), work for 3 years at DHHS, eliminate 30k from your loans without affecting your own salary pay.

Or go work for a non-profit/NGO, love your work, save some deserving people, make a low salary, but live a fulfilling life.

It is all up to you.

DC is nice if you live in a nice area, BUT we pay high prices for cost of living here. My studio apartment is $1375/mo., for instance. Not one friend I have here pays less than $1200 for a studio apartment. So you may not be able to knock out loans as quickly as you may suggest here.

Also, federal salaries have been frozen at 2010 rates and will be for the foreseeable future.

The way I figure it, if a high salary is what you desire. Get a MBA or CS degree and go work for a corporation/start your own business.

As stated previously, 1-2 year administrative fellowships pay ~50k, give or take 5k. If you don't completely screw up, fellows are typically hired by the hospital. Based on friends in California and NY, pay jumps up to ~80k as a new low/mid-level manager (remember pay is generally higher in these geographic areas...).

If you go the consulting route, you may make 60-70k starting out, but you'll work much longer hours than a fellowship (Depends on the lifestyle you desire). However, these positions are fairly competitive, because you're competing against MBAs.

It is all up to you.

Only 1-2 years of a fellowship and the pay jumps up? Seems like an easy choice. Thanks man.

I'm not money hungry or anything, I simply have a large extended family and none of my parents have retirement funds, so I just want to ensure I can take care of them.

If anyone else has input I would appreciate it. I thank the posters above who have helped me. I am making my schedule for next year which will affect my masters coursework, so I just want to receive as many voices about this job industry as possible.

Btw: to the above posters ^ I wont have any debt. Ut-Dallas is accredited with two organizations and free so i'll be going there.

DC is nice if you live in a nice area, BUT we pay high prices for cost of living here. My studio apartment is $1375/mo., for instance. Not one friend I have here pays less than $1200 for a studio apartment. So you may not be able to knock out loans as quickly as you may suggest here.

Also, federal salaries have been frozen at 2010 rates and will be for the foreseeable future.

Dude, I can't believe just a studio apartment runs that high :eek: I better scratch DC off my list for the time being. So are you saying the pay is decent there, but the C O L counteracts it since it is so expensive to live there?

Dude, I can't believe just a studio apartment runs that high :eek: I better scratch DC off my list for the time being. So are you saying the pay is decent there, but the C O L counteracts it since it is so expensive to live there?

I wouldn't say counteracts. I would say knuckle sandwiches :laugh:

Want to buy a 700sqft 1bedroom condo? Easily $400k+. 1800sqft house in the MD or NoVA suburbs? $800k+. Look at some prices on Zillow. It's astounding how much DC costs. Explains why everyone who lives here is a lawyer :laugh:

But I can't complain too much. Overall quality of life is pretty good. The city is surprisingly clean, and the NW is a very safe area to live (when it comes to city living). Just wish that there was more unique culture/brand here. Doesn't have that authentic city-ness to it that you see in the other big cities in the US (like NY, Boston, or Chicago). Just don't expect to buy a house here :p Oh, and don't expect to save much, either. That whole spend only 30% of your pay on housing/living expenses does not work here :)