MS in Healthcare Management v. MPA Healthcare Management Concentration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pareserve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to pursue a MPAS, Physician Assistant studies - 2 year program.

I was wondering during the time off I have, will it be beneficial to get a MS in Healthcare Management or Master's in Public Affairs (MPA) Healthcare Management Concentration or neither? I hope of becoming a PA-C, but also holding a possible administration position in a hospital or something related. Is this possible and will it help?

I'm leaning more towards the MPA simply because it's covers non-profit, local, state, and federal level affairs while also with the ability to take 15 credits of electives, and in my case healthcare management. So it's a much broader degree and more well-known. Really interested and curious as to if it would be beneficial in my case.

I'm completing my BS in Neuroscience May 2013 at the age of 19. I need clinical exp so I'm going to spend half a year off as an EMT-B and apply to PA school April 2014 while also enrolling in one of these master programs. The completed my Masters by May 2015, and entering PA school in either Fall 2015 or Spring 2016 depending on their start date.

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is to become a PA, I don't see how this degree would benefit you much. If I were in your place, i would develop a clear plan of what career path to take on. If you're interested in becoming a practitioner, go to school to become a PA, and you dont need the MPA or MS. If you're interested more in public health, then why become a PA? Some tend to think that degrees in public health are joker cards, and helpful no matter what degree they pursue (similar to the idea that law schoool "opens doors" even if you don't want to practice law).

My sincere advice would be to narrow down your interests and decide if you really want to be a PA or work in public health. Good luck :)