MS IV late to the game...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vagal manuever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a lurker for some time, but I finally decided to enter the SDN fray here in the otolaryngology subforum. I am a current MS IV (yes, ERAS is upon us VERY soon) who has vacillated about his specialty choice for some time, but has just now started my sub-I (will finish in time to ask for letters from home program only). I have read many insightful posts from folks in practice, among them neutropeniaboy, resxn and leforte, and I'm afraid this is another "what are my chances" thread. Please, take some time to read about my particular situation. If you have any words of wisdom, I'd appreciate them.

Step 1: 255
Clerkships: Honors in Surg, Med, Psych, Family Med; HP in Peds, Neuro, OB-gyn
Third-year ENT rotation (Pass...we are P/F on those electives): was told by attendings and residents that I was a well-liked student, and have been told by at least one attending that I'd be welcome at home program
Medicine Sub-I (honors)
Multiple pubs and presentations in cardiology
Summer at NIH (cardio research)
Several years off between undergrad and med school working in lab at Ivy-League med school

So, my question is this. Given my background, how much is my late entry to the field going to hurt me if I apply in this cycle? The other applicants at my school made their decisions very early, and have been HEAVILY involved with the department for a long time now. I am known to the department, but it took some time for me to finally make the decision. I am thoroughly confident in my reasons for that (there are many wonderful specialties, and this is a decision for the rest of my life...I'm an analytical guy, and like to make these types of decisions carefully). I am also confident of the reasons that drew me to ENT (treat newborns to elderly, deal with simple, quick-fix problems to serious head-and-neck cancer, the OR is absolutely wonderful and I also relish the clinic, career flexibility as you age, plus I had a very personal experience w/cancer requiring the services of a head and neck surgeon, etc.)

I have heard from applicants at my program who are just now starting internship; I have spoken to several faculty members; now I ask you. Your candid, objective advice is appreciated, especially because I will be (nearly) as anonymous to you as I would to those reading my future residency application.

Members don't see this ad.

You sound like a solid applicant. Contact your ENT faculty about getting some quick research projects under your belt this fall (case reports and chart review stuff). You've already proven your ability and interest in research through your cardiology work. Follow the advice here on the forum and I think you will very likely match.

Agree, I think you're very likely to match. You should use your personal statement to explain your journey and how you came to ENT. No one is expecting that you should have had your career mapped out from Day 1. In fact, some degree of "wandering" can be helpful, because at the end, you truly know what you want to do.

I just recommend that you have a few different people read your essay to make sure your point gets across. The folks at PlasticsMatch were a huge help for me, so check that out.

Good luck in your match!

Reactions: 1 user