MS1 Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bostonguy911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Isn't finals next week? Take a good summer off and get ready to be punched in the face for the next ~6 years.

Try studying outside if you can't get any exercise. Still better than being stuck inside and unable to release.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm burning out. It was worse when gross was still growing due to my intense hatred of everything about that class, but now I'm just sort of spent. I studied like mad for our head and neck exam and the gross NBME and then had to cram for a neuro test I'd been blowing off in favor of the former two. Now, my brain is kind of chronically off. It doesn't help that I was sick this past weekend and REALLY couldn't study. I'm glad I'm not doing anything constructive this summer. I need the break.

I can go out and have a great time with friends and family and study minimally and get by with descent grades. But then I would be depressed because I would be letting myself down (not getting Honors).

Ah, the classic struggle between life and objective validation. Best of luck with that.

are you permanently disabled? if not just abuse alcohol for a while and then get back into exercise.

You're painting yourself into a psychological corner with a false dichotomy. It is not one or the other.

I don't start med school until August but I have already been through chemical engineering and dealt with my mother's death at the same time. As far as dealing with the blues, nothing can be worse than that.

In preparation for dealing with feeling overwhelmed and depressed, I plan to do three things. First, I have saved everything I did to get into medical school. I figured that in itself is an accomplishment. I just want to remind myself how many people would love to have my spot.

Secondly I plan to periodically search job postings to try to motivate me to keep going. Just knowing that I will not have to live paycheck to paycheck is something to look forward too.

Lastly, I plan to have a very large drink after every test.

Just remember how much you have accomplished to date. I would kill to be in your spot- 1 year down. Read the pre-allo and second timers post in the other forums and be thankful that you are not posting there. Hopefully those things will show you the sunnyside of all your efforts. I completely understand that it can get really draining.:luck:

I am actually interested in most of what we're studying now. I just don't want to study it anymore. I don't want to take any more exams. I don't want to do any more practicals. I don't want to see my standardized patient. I don't want to see the inside of the library anymore. Really, I'd almost rather go sit in a wood-chipper.

I am actually interested in most of what we're studying now. I just don't want to study it anymore. I don't want to take any more exams. I don't want to do any more practicals. I don't want to see my standardized patient. I don't want to see the inside of the library anymore. Really, I'd almost rather go sit in a wood-chipper.

Amen.
Doesn't help that we have exams each weekend until June. :mad:

Time to take the electric wheelchair for a spin. Get our there and join your friends. You can do well and live life. It is 100% possible.:luck: