MS1 IMG and USMLE advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jumpman23

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I will be starting medical school in India in the summer of '06.

What advice would you give me in terms of studying for the USMLE as an IMG? Is there a particular book I should take with me and read along with my other textbooks (i.e. First Aid)?

I understand I will have to take the steps during/after my internship year (4.5-5.5 years from now), which will be a bit diffrent then the AMG's, so how can I organize myself from now until that point in terms of books and programs to follow?

If you were starting medical school all over again (expecially if your an IMG), what advice can you give me that you wish you had done starting from your MS1 year?

Thanks a bunch. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

jumpman23 said:
Hi there,

I will be starting medical school in India in the summer of '06.

What advice would you give me in terms of studying for the USMLE as an IMG? Is there a particular book I should take with me and read along with my other textbooks (i.e. First Aid)?

I understand I will have to take the steps during/after my internship year (4.5-5.5 years from now), which will be a bit diffrent then the AMG's, so how can I organize myself from now until that point in terms of books and programs to follow?

If you were starting medical school all over again (expecially if your an IMG), what advice can you give me that you wish you had done starting from your MS1 year?

Thanks a bunch. :thumbup:

Use review books alongside class. FA, BRS path, and BRS physio are absolute must-haves. Throw in pathophysio for B & W, HY neuro, HY mol./Cell bio, BRS behavioral, etc as you go along.

Look up study strategies from Step 1 veterans located in the stickies thread at the top of the forum. G'luck in India!