MS1 Podcasts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aklark

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any podcast recommendations for an MS1 commute?

Goljan and Pathoma seem like they won't be helpful until MS2, but I'd like to do something useful during the drive first year.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not your MS-1 lectures?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 30 minute commute to campus and I dabbled with lectures, pathoma, goljan, as well as youtube videos of the kaplan lecture series. I honestly got nothing out of pathoma, school lectures, or youtube videos, NOTHING. Most of that material it helps to visualize stuff and the lectures are so dry that I zoned out of 15 minutes. Goljan on the other hand is fantastic, good talker, and kept things interesting, easy, and light. Once I got through his lectures once, I gave up and used that time for XM radio.

Reactions: 3 users
I was thinking most of these would require slides to make sense, but I might give it a try.

If you've already heard the lectures/studied what's being lectured on, hearing them again will allow you to refer to the mental images you have, which will work for a good amount of first year material. I'm not sure how high or low yield this approach will be as I don't commute to school, but it probably can't hurt since you're stuck in a car for X amount of hours each week anyway.

If you've already heard the lectures/studied what's being lectured on, hearing them again will allow you to refer to the mental images you have, which will work for a good amount of first year material. I'm not sure how high or low yield this approach will be as I don't commute to school, but it probably can't hurt since you're stuck in a car for X amount of hours each week anyway.
I don't know about other med schools, but I don't think anything the Phds/mds/dos tout off at my school during the first 2 years are at all "high yield". It may be high yield for their exam but certainly not for boards or for clinic. In retrospect, I learned SOOOO much more studying for my step 1 exam than I did for block exams.

If you want to listen to something stick with goljan. He's funny, picks on IMGs, and is fairly light and absorbable.

I don't know about other med schools, but I don't think anything the Phds/mds/dos tout off at my school during the first 2 years are at all "high yield". It may be high yield for their exam but certainly not for boards or for clinic. In retrospect, I learned SOOOO much more studying for my step 1 exam than I did for block exams.

If you want to listen to something stick with goljan. He's funny, picks on IMGs, and is fairly light and absorbable.

Should have clarified... high yield for professor-specific questions on exams, not for boards. I'm a pretty firm believer that you can't really do anything to prepare for boards first year except 1) learn the material well and 2) learn how to study efficiently.

Reactions: 1 users

I think he meant high yield for in class. I believe Goljan pokes fun (in jest) at IMGs, bc those are the ones taking his board review classes in high numbers.

Richard Pryor. Seriously some of the best **** you can get and he has hours of material. Once you're done with him, George Carlin, Lewis Black, and damn near everyone else you can find.

Reactions: 1 user