MS1 Summer Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedEpi2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a question about my upcoming summer research.

I was a nontraditional applicant with a degree in epidemiology. I used to work at the state level where I analyzed nationally representative data from CDC and led state health policies. I have extensive knowledge and experience in epidemiology and public health health and I intend to use that in my advantage to strengthen the research component of my residency application.

Instead of applying to the different summer research programs for first year medical students, which are more oriented to case reports or chart review types of projects, I contacted my old colleagues and now will be a part of the public health surveillance team of my state's department of health. There I will have access to nationally representative data of medical records and can use that database to analyze any variables I want. I asked if I would have the possibility to publish and they told me that I would for sure, since they needed to use the data for interventions. I also have the opportunity to keep working with them and be part of multiple publications.

I think it's a great opportunity but I am afraid that the fact that it is public health research instead of purely clinical research or research specific in my desired specialty (I have different specialties in mind but still haven't decided) will hurt my residency application.

Does this sound like a good research opportunity for residency applications?
How bad is it to not had done research in my desired specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it really depends on the specialty. Overall, research is always great, and yours is obviously really impressive, but it might raise eyebrows from some PDs. Generally, more competitive specialties like to see research in their field. Less competitive specialties are a bit more forgiving.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

I have a question about my upcoming summer research.

I was a nontraditional applicant with a degree in epidemiology. I used to work at the state level where I analyzed nationally representative data from CDC and led state health policies. I have extensive knowledge and experience in epidemiology and public health health and I intend to use that in my advantage to strengthen the research component of my residency application.

Instead of applying to the different summer research programs for first year medical students, which are more oriented to case reports or chart review types of projects, I contacted my old colleagues and now will be a part of the public health surveillance team of my state's department of health. There I will have access to nationally representative data of medical records and can use that database to analyze any variables I want. I asked if I would have the possibility to publish and they told me that I would for sure, since they needed to use the data for interventions. I also have the opportunity to keep working with them and be part of multiple publications.

I think it's a great opportunity but I am afraid that the fact that it is public health research instead of purely clinical research or research specific in my desired specialty (I have different specialties in mind but still haven't decided) will hurt my residency application.

Does this sound like a good research opportunity for residency applications?
How bad is it to not had done research in my desired specialty?

This is great, don't worry. The only issue is that as the poster above me said, find research in your specialty eventually. Great start, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have similar question: currrent OMS I

I have summer research at Upenn for lipid research and can get publications (co-author/2nd authorship) do you guys think this will help me get surgical residency?

I have summer research at Upenn for lipid research and can get publications (co-author/2nd authorship) do you guys think this will help me get surgical residency?

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users

Research in general looks great, so if your options are to do this vs. to not do this, then yes, it will be the better choice. Sometimes you can spin your research and make a case for it applying to your field, but without knowing your research and which surgical field you want to go in to, I couldn't help more than that. Make sure during your time at UPenn to get in and shadow people, make connections in the department. Not sure what the culture there is towards giving clinical research stuff (case reports, e.g.) to people outside the home institution, but it may be worth asking, especially if you have a good relationship with someone. Making yourself known (in a good way!) will help a lot towards residency.

Reactions: 1 user