MS1's in turmoil: Stressed. Confused. Depressed. Buyer's remorse..The experiences/thoughts of a MS2.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frazier

Palliative Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been a few threads posted by members (and given SDN's popularity, I'm sure there's plenty of lurkers too) that have been having a tough time during MS1.

Currently, at my school we're starting the last of our main preclinical blocks this Monday -- only about 4 months out from completing MS2 classes.

I mention the above to clarify that I have no experience with third year/beyond, so cannot comment on that... however, from what I hear, the hardest of my school's MS2 curriculum is now behind me... so I'll keep my aim on MS1/MS2.

So, here are some thoughts:

Med school is tough. We all hear it coming in that it is going to give us a run for our money (in all interpretations of the phrase); however, as many of you quickly found out -- myself included -- it is largely unlike any other academic experience/environment(!) encountered to date.

Like most of you, I was a pretty good undergrad student...didn't have any trouble with classes, tutored for the sci departments, etc.

"Yeah, yeah...how tough can med school be? I balanced a whole bunch of classes and EC's as a premed."

Well, as you saw after matriculating -- it can be real tough.

The volume is unlike anything experienced prior (e.g. 800 page syllabi in 4 weeks), the perpetual expectations of "professionalism" are unlike anything before (dress sharp, look sharp, be sharp), the surroundings are unlike anything before (100+ of the most motivated/intelligent people you'll meet as classmates).

It doesn’t matter if you did undergrad at State U or Harvard, you were never in a "class of 20XX" that was as homogenous in strengths and heterogeneous in experiences as your med school "class of 20XX". Everyone comes in motivated, and everyone comes in fresh, and everyone comes in ready to hit the ground running.

And classes commence.

Since you are in med school, more likely than not, you are used to riding the right tail of that bell curve since birth... but given your new environment, 50% of you are going to -- not only fall off the tail you grew so comfortable riding-- but you won't even be on the right side. period.

"Not on the right? That can't be right! I'll bust my butt and make it, alright?"

For 50% of you, that'll happen.

Nevertheless, the sooner you come to terms with the fact that your "best" might not end up surpassing your peers' "best", the sooner your time in med school will become a lot more enjoyable.

I'll use myself to paint the picture:

During the beginning of MS1, I was the typical "I'll do my best, which should get me to the top of the class... I mean look at my baller AMCAS." Well, my absolute best at that time was only enough to get me to top 10-20 percentile. This was anatomy. It proved a strong subject for me. "Okay, so I'm not the top student anymore -- but top ~15% is still pretty good."

Then biochem happened.

1 and a half weeks of hell for me. Not a strong class. Scored around the class median. "Well, that's no good. Who wants to be average? Genetics is our next course; I'll go harder and get back near the right tail."

Genetics? Nope. Down to the lowly ~75th percentile. (For frame of reference, keep in mind this percentile corresponded to a score around the low mid-80's. Not all that bad -- outside the tunnel vision of MS1.)

"Damn. Gotta do more hours I guess."

OK Cell Path time -- push things hard. Back up to top ~25 percentile. "Okay, that's about as good as I can get I guess. But hey, I'll be AOA eligible at that rank. Fine by me."

On to 1 week pharm course. Sick. It's Tuesday; I don't know this stuff. Exam is Friday. Pulling 15 hour days of desk time. Office feels like a cell. Top 25%. "Cool, I guess. Med school isn't fun. In fact it kind of sucks."

Sicker.

Immunology. Ironic. Feel like crap. Crappy weather. Starting to think "not only is med school crap, but life is crap too. All day reading uninteresting garbage. I don't care about any of this stuff. Was med school a big mistake?" 15 hour desk time days. Exam comes and goes. Top 10%.

"Okay, so hours = scores. Yeah, so I hate life right now -- but med school is only several years. Just keep going."

Microbiology.

Uninterested. Burnt out. But put in the hours.

Bottom 10% of class. Still passed. But bottom 10%...

"What. the. hell?"

Miserable and bottom of class. That is not something I'll live with; something in the equation needs to change.

Neuroscience. For the first time in 8 months, I study with my blinds and office window open. Suddenly my hours at the desk don't feel like groundhog day in a prison-like cubicle -- when I can look right outside to the blue sky, green trees, and kids playing ball in the quiet suburban street.

Continue in neuro, material is kind of tough, but I don't study as much (even though desk time is still prob 10 hours per day, good chunk is spent enjoying the passing scenes out my office window). Exams come, end up at the median. "I'm okay with that. I did the best I could WHILE staying healthy."

Psych and behavioral med arrives. Awesome courses. Reminds me why I enrolled in med school to begin with. Pleasure to go through the material. Score around top 30%. "Fine. Who cares? I don't. More importantly, those classes were sweet! Sucks they were so brief."

Summer. Well needed vacation.

MS2...

Cardiology is known as the hardest course of the year at my school. The syllabi font is small, the volume is huge. Study a reasonable amount each day. Stay comfortable. Score at the average. "Cool."

Renal...study reasonable amount each day. "MS2 ain't so bad". Score slightly below average. "I'm cool with that."

Pulm...study reasonable amount each day. Pretty happy. Score -- should be around the average.

Thoughts:::

1) If you got into med school, there's a good chance that you will be able to brute force your way to the right side of the bell curve. Results will vary. That said, it wouldn't have mattered if I spend 20 hours studying every single day for an exam: someone in my class would have been better. There are some very talented minds in med school, you might be that person -- statistically, not likely. Try to get over it.

2) You need to take an honest measure of what your goals are and what you need to do in order to achieve them. I am very fortunate that I wasn't ever gung-ho on one of the super competitive specialties beyond "oh, I'll have to look into that." It was stressful enough pushing the envelope for internal validation ("I did it, scored top 25%. Boy, can't wait to tell mom." NEXT.) versus pushing the envelope because it is almost required given the barriers to entry to your desired field (going with the stereotypical example: "I want to do derm at a top 5 program, I gotta get AOA no matter what.")

3) It is true that you should learn as much as you can during these 2 years -- both for yourself and your future patients. However, if you push yourself so far that you break, quit, or "worse" -- sure, you learned a bunch along the way, but it won't end up helping anyone if you aren't there down the line to offer treatment.

4) Preclinical medical education can be extremely isolating. If you don't have a support network already set up (family, SO, old friends, faith leader, whatever), be sure to try to establish one among classmates of which you grow fond. If you can't do that, establish a support network via the internet (SDN/reddit/Misc/whatever). Some medium where you can vent your frustrations/thoughts/opinions and have an actual person respond.

5) There was a thread a few weeks about avoiding tutoring. The idea was that the tutors only tutor so that they can internally laugh at you and make you feel bad about getting assistance. That couldn't be farther from the truth. At least at my med school, the admins notify students that performed exceptionally well in a course (or courses) with the opportunity to give back to the community. I'll be tutoring for a class after the New Year. They pay okay, but I assure you the money isn't worth the time -- and there are plenty of funnier things to get a "laugh" about than in regards to a stressed medical student seeking assistance from a peer. Residency PD's won't be impressed by it. Tutors tutor for the chance to help out and lend a hand. Take advantage of tutoring if you think it will help you. No hesitation.

6) MS1 volume might seem insane. I was told MS2 volume was worse. "That's gotta be bull! No way there can be more volume." Turns out, there can be more volume after all. Case in point, we just got our GI syllabus (Part 1): 447 pages. Size 10 font. That's 2 weeks of material (+Labs, + workshops, +non-science courses added on top). You will adapt. One way or another. Either you will become more efficient or you will be "okay" will scoring a little bit lower than you did in MS1 when the volume was less.

7) Some good news is that the MS2 material is much more relevant and interesting, assuming you aren't hardcore basic science guy/girl.

8) Review books and outside texts can often explain things a whole lot better than your professors.

9) Our time is finite. Be efficient. Consider podcasting if you haven't. Over the course of MS1/MS2, I have saved exactly 424 hours and 56 minutes so far by podcasting at high speeds (a program I have records it). That is almost 18 days of pure saved time. 18 days of 24 hours. Saved. From podcasting. I imagine that by the time I finish MS2, I will have "lived" an additional month in my life through cut lecture time and actual "living life" time.

10) Appreciate the assets that SDN can offer in regards to filling in gaps of experience. Be wary of accidentally believing that SDN's active member population is representative of real life. More motivated people are likely to seek out such a community. More focused people are likely to stay in it. The bar is higher and that is because of a mix of vocal true rockstars, a silent average, and boisterous trolls.

11) Take time to try to reflect on ways in which you have it good. Not necessarily overdone like, Person A: "Ow, that truck just ran over my foot." Person B: "Ahh, suck it up, at least you have a foot to get ran over." But more like, "Man, I hate studying all the time, but you know what? My apartment/home/chair is one hellova comfy place to do it!"

12) Accept that different people have different strengths. Why did my scores go from above average on one test to below average on the next test? Different subject, different exam writer, different personal strengths, different peer strengths. Don't worry about what other people do. Worry about reaching you own personal end goal while enjoying your life as much as you can along the way.

were-all-gonna-make-it-brah.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 112 users
A much needed read... and on that note I will stop studying and call it a night.

Reactions: 1 users
Heh welcome to medical school. No one else gets it but us. You have to earn the title of doctor and the ridiculous coursework is just the beginning

Nice writeup, that was an excellent post, I can almost see myself saying the exact same things

Next year you will be trying to remember all the crap you learned while spending inordinate amounts of time in the hospital, feeling awkward as you meet new residents and attendings on a daily basis with the uncertainty of not knowing what the heck it is that they want. Time management is key. Somehow it's worse than second year in terms of hours but better because you're actually seeing patients and diseases in real life

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just remember, even if you're not top 10%/25%/whatever, you can still do almost every specialty provided you bust your a$$ studying for step 1.

Most residency directors care very little about preclinical grades/rankings.

A 50% percentile student with a 230 step 1 is still a competitive applicant for nearly every specialty.

The best advise you can give underclassmen is to set a study schedule with time off for friends and family, do your best to understand the material, and stop caring about grades/rankings.

This is especially true when preparing for M3 since a huge portion of your grade will be based on subjective evaluations that mostly depend on whether the attending liked you/was having a good day/feels like it and not on your performance. There will be some attendings who have a policy of never giving out honors even if you're the best student they've ever had, while others give out honors to almost everyone as long as the student shows up and acts interested.

Reactions: 5 users
Just remember, even if you're not top 10%/25%/whatever, you can still do almost every specialty provided you bust your a$$ studying for step 1.

A 50% percentile student with a 230 step 1 is still a competitive applicant for nearly every specialty.

The best advise you can give underclassmen is to set a study schedule with time off for friends and family, do your best to understand the material, and stop caring about grades/rankings.

This is especially true when preparing for M3 since a huge portion of your grade will be based on subjective evaluations that mostly depend on whether the attending liked you/was having a good day/feels like it and not on your performance. There will be some attendings who have a policy of never giving out honors even if you're the best student they've ever had, while others give out honors to almost everyone as long as the student shows up and acts interested.
Are you sure about that? Do you think someone that rank in the 3rd quartile with 225+ step1 can match into a solid psych or PM&R program?

This is especially true when preparing for M3 since a huge portion of your grade will be based on subjective evaluations that mostly depend on whether the attending liked you/was having a good day/feels like it and not on your performance.
:rolleyes: --- :smack:

Reactions: 1 user
Are you sure about that? Do you think someone that rank in the 3rd quartile with 225+ step1 can match into a solid psych or PM&R program?

yea, PM&R is not competitive. Psych is even less competitive.

Reactions: 3 users

Sure there's plenty of subjectivity in clerkship evaluations, but it's not exactly hard to figure out in a few days/weeks which students have been doing reading and which ones haven't. Attitude and professionalism matter a lot in the gestalt of the eval, but don't discount the value (or lack thereof) in continually demonstrating low knowledge level (normed to the year in medical school).

@Frazier, since I'm pretty sure you're in the same program as me, yes, MS3 is more fun but it's yet another level of huge amounts of information to learn (because, really, who can cover all family med topics in the 4 weeks before the shelf?). Keep up the hard work in MS2 and some of the knowledge foundation will actually pay off later in medical school (outside of the whole AOA, ranks, whatever). Also, for the love of the gods, please please don't decide to spend the next 6 months studying only "high-yield/FA/UWorld" and bypass the rest of the curriculum.

Our psych clerkship director, who advises us through the residency process and also is involved with residency selection, told us us that roughly a third of applicants that interview have failed a clerkship. Mind you, my home program is by no means a stellar program, but it's certainly a quality program at a big-name institution that will get you good training.

I don't know my ranking as it's not directly disclosed and I don't care enough to try and find it out, but I'm almost certainly in the bottom quartile of my class, got a mid 230s step 1, and have received more interviews than I know what to do with, including a few at very solid institutions. I did not "win" medical school. However, this all comes from the perspective of someone who has no interest in academia and is staying away from most "desirable" areas due to personal interest (e.g., NYC, Boston, LA, etc.).

A good buddy of mine scored in the 210s on step 1 and is probably overall an even weaker applicant than me and we've been largely interviewing at the same places.

I don't know about PM&R, but it's not difficult at all to get a quality psych position. Getting one of "the best" positions is another thing, but even then it's nothing like getting one of "the best" positions in derm, the surgical subspecialties, etc. etc..

Reactions: 5 users
Our psych clerkship director, who advises us through the residency process and also is involved with residency selection, told us us that roughly a third of applicants that interview have failed a clerkship. Mind you, my home program is by no means a stellar program, but it's certainly a quality program at a big-name institution that will get you good training.

I don't know my ranking as it's not directly disclosed and I don't care enough to try and find it out, but I'm almost certainly in the bottom quartile of my class, got a mid 230s step 1, and have received more interviews than I know what to do with, including a few at very solid institutions. I did not "win" medical school. However, this all comes from the perspective of someone who has no interest in academia and is staying away from most "desirable" areas due to personal interest (e.g., NYC, Boston, LA, etc.).

A good buddy of mine scored in the 210s on step 1 and is probably overall an even weaker applicant than me and we've been largely interviewing at the same places.

I don't know about PM&R, but it's not difficult at all to get a quality psych position. Getting one of "the best" positions is another thing, but even then it's nothing like getting one of "the best" positions in derm, the surgical subspecialties, etc. etc..
I'm almost willing to bet most of the failed clerkships falls into 1 of 2 rotations: Surgery and OB-Gyn. There was some study out there on specific cohort of students which showed most of the "unprofessionalism" concerns on evaluations were from the OB-Gyn clerkship (which I think speaks more on OB-Gyn residents, than students, but whatever). WHY that person failed also matters - failed shelf? clinical deficiencies? professionalism issues?

I think also your success is bc your medical school is a top-tier school in which your class size is relatively small and you managed to squeeze thru a very tight filter which is a great accomplishment. That matters a lot, even if you're in the bottom quartile (which your school only takes into account M3 clerkship grades as part of rank), bc your entire class already is in the upper tier of all U.S. medical students.

Tl;dr: med school ****ing sucks.

Thanks for your input... I thought if for some reason I rank in the 4th quartile in my class after 3 years, my only chance is to try to get a preliminary spot and find a state that would give me a license as a general practitioner... Boy, I was wrong! SDN scares the heck out of people...

Last edited:
Tl;dr: med school ******* sucks.
For you, life ******* sucks, considering you were depressed long before medical school even started (just for context for OP who might take you seriously).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input... I thought if for some reason I rank in the 4th quartile in my class after 3 years, my only chance is to try to get a preliminary spot and find a state that would give me a license as a general practitioner... Boy, I was wrong!

Why would you only go for a prelim year as an M4? You realize jobs for general practitioners (no residency/board certification, only internship, Step 3 completed and full medical license) are pretty much disappearing?

Why would you only go for a prelim year as an M4? You realize jobs for general practitioners (no residency/board certification, only internship, Step 3 completed and full medical license) are pretty much disappearing?
I thought I would not have any chance to match into any specialty if I rank in the fourth quartile... It's better to have a license than not having one....

Thanks for your input... I thought if for some reason I rank in the 4th quartile in my class after 3 years, my only chance is to try to get a preliminary spot and find a state that would give me a license as a general practitioner... Boy, I was wrong! SDN scares the heck out of people...
25% of all medical students are in the fourth quartile. I don't think 25% of medical students are in such dire straights.

wut? Even with an average Step 1, you could match into decent university IM programs. IM has hundreds of great programs and most university programs will get you into the subspecialty that you want.

and that'st just with IM. You have pretty much every specialty available to you, depending on how hard you want to work.

I thought I would not have any chance to match into any specialty if I rank in the fourth quartile... It's better to have a license than not having one....

You realize if 1/4 of the class didn't match into any residency (25 out of 100 people) that would be disastrous for any medical school, right?

wut? Even with an average Step 1, you could match into decent university IM programs. IM has hundreds of great programs and most university programs will get you into the subspecialty that you want.

and that'st just with IM. You have pretty much every specialty available to you, depending on how hard you want to work.

I believe he's referring to class rank, not board score. He's wrong, regardless, but just for clarification as board score and class rank are not equivalent.

You realize if 1/4 of the class didn't match into any residency (25 out of 100 people) that would be disastrous for any medical school, right?
Yes... I realize that! I am a freaking a med student... I am also from a low tier school... That was why I was freaking out...

You can even match some specialties with 4th quartile ranking and a 200-210 Step 1, provided you have good letters/away rotations. I mean they probably won't be good programs, but you can still be an anesthesiologist/radiologist/whatever.

Yes... I realize that! I am a freaking a med student... I am also from a low tier school... That was why I was freaking out...
My point is that even if a low tier medical school had 25% of it's class not match into residency consistently, it would probably trigger an AAMC or LCME audit.

My point is that even if a low tier medical school had 25% of it's class not match into residency consistently, it would probably trigger an AAMC or LCME audit.
I see... I was thinking about withdrawing last week after getting a 71 in an Anatomy exam. I said let me cut my loss before it's too late, because I said it's better to pay back 30k after one semester than 120k after two years... Then I met with my advisor, she told me that there is nothing to worry about... 4 points below average is not a big deal.

I see... I was thinking about withdrawing last week after getting a 71 in an Anatomy exam. I said let me cut my loss before it's too late, because I said it's better to pay back 30k after one semester than 120k after two years... Then I met with my advisor, she told me that there is nothing to worry about... 4 points below average is not a big deal.

Holy ****. Statistics, man. Half the class has be below average (usually an exam standard deviation is 5-10 pts), so being <1 SD below the mean is no big deal. Just because you're no longer the biggest, prettiest fish in the pond doesn't mean you can't graduate and get a reasonable residency.

If you're ready to throw in the towel just bc 1 exam doesn't go your way, then the med school road will be very very very rough for you.

You were going to drop out of med school for getting 4% below average on an exam?

Holy ****. Statistics, man. Half the class has be below average (usually an exam standard deviation is 5-10 pts), so being <1 SD below the mean is no big deal. Just because you're no longer the biggest, prettiest fish in the pond doesn't mean you can't graduate and get a reasonable residency.
I just looked at the scores now and I was wrong. The average was 79... Stdv was 9.. lowest score 40 and highest 93. My advisor lied to me... Now I am freaking out even more.

If you're ready to throw in the towel just bc 1 exam doesn't go your way, then the med school road will be very very very rough for you.
I rarely fell so low like that in undergrad... and my roommate told me 2nd year is more difficult...

I just looked at the scores now and I was wrong. The average was 79... Stdv was 9.. lowest score 40 and highest 93. My advisor lied to me... Now I am freaking out even more.
You sound like me. Lol.

Stop now. Your advisor, more likely, did not look at the right table or whatever. You did fine. You passed. If this (what looks a lot like anxiety and panic) is a typical reaction for you to perceived adversity, now is the time to seek peer and professional help in how to deal with this because this is the first world of first world problems in med school.

8 pts. vs. 4 pts. Big difference (sarcasm, in case it wasn't obvious)

Stop now. Your advisor, more likely, did not look at the right table or whatever. You did fine. You passed. If this (what looks a lot like anxiety and panic) is a typical reaction for you to perceived adversity, now is the time to seek peer and professional help in how to deal with this because this is the first world of first world problems in med school.
She wants me to see the school psychologist... I am not going. Nothing is wrong with me! This is a competitive environment...

I don't understand why @fancymylotus thinks I am trolling... I don't know if someone paid dental school for her... No one is paying med school for me...
Landing a residency isn't as hard as everyone makes it sound, provided you're an US MD student. If you have a horrible Step 1 score you might be relegated to lower-tier IM/psych/FM programs, but you'll still match somewhere.

I'm a below average student, too. I'm lazy and I suck at memorizing/retaining information. I'm happy as long as I pass because I don't want to do anything competitive.

She wants me to see the school psychologist... I am not going. Nothing is wrong with me!

Look, talking to the school psychologist is not an admission of failure/wrongness/defectiveness as a person or a medical student. At least 1/3 of my class has used our school psychologist at least once during medical school and many have used her more. I can assure you that 1/3 of my class is not "defective". The way you are representing your reactions to this test here are indicative of catastrophizing and an inability to cope with adversity (this one, a very minor one). This is a problem for you and it will not go away by ignoring it.

I don't understand why @fancymylotus thinks I am trolling... I don't know if someone paid dental school for her... No one is paying med school for me...

She thinks you're trolling because you're acting like med school is a giant gamble... Once you're in you pretty much just have to graduate with no giant red flags and you will be able to get a residency in something and then a job that will be sufficient to pay off your med school loans.

My school mandates everyone below 70 to get tutoring ASAP... and it's being enforced... I heard students received email that they have to attend these tutoring sessions, it would be a shame if I was in that list...

My school mandate everyone below average to get tutoring ASAP... and it's being enforced... I heard students received email that they have to attend these tutoring sessions, it would be a shame if I was in that list...
I mean it's not a normal distribution, but roughly half of your class is REQUIRED to get tutoring? That's ridiculous.

My school mandates everyone below 70 to get tutoring ASAP... and it's being enforced... I heard students received email that they have to attend these tutoring sessions, it would be a shame if I was in that list...

There's nothing wrong with getting help, regardless of what quartile you are in. It's not a dumb idea for a school to require tutoring for those that are failing. Obviously those students aren't succeeding with their current strategy, so the school tries to help you even if you may be too stubborn to ask for it on your own.

Also, let's just look at this in terms of consequences. What's worse for your self-esteem? Having mandatory tutoring v. failing a class v. repeating a year of medical school v. not graduating medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
SDN is awful for neurotic average/below average students because it's skewed so high here. I mean, go look at the Step 1 2013-2014 thread. Every other person scored >250 when in reality a 250 is in the 90th+ percentile.