MS2's take on verbal strategies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firebird69guy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys/gals,

I took the MCAT twice. This was when it was a written test, not by computer. However, I had to retake because I got a 7 in verbal the first time around. Here's my strategy for raising my verbal to a 10 (which I thought was impossible).

Here is what I did, and what I recommend to all you out there feeling that verbal is going to keep you from medical school.

Step 1). Go buy ExamKrackers VERBAL 101 passages in verbal reasoning (it's the closest to the real thing IMO)

Step 2). Drink coffee (preferrably espresso) immediately before taking the passage test.

Step 3). Listen to yo yo ma while you sip your coffee.

Step 4). Begin reading the passage, telling yourself that you are an astute professor from Oxford or Harvard and you are going to grade this person.

Step 5). Time yourself so that at the halfway point, you are about halfway through the test (you should do ALL passages, forget princeton review's strategy of picking the easiest ones).

Step 6). If you're getting 9s and 10s consistently, you're doing fine. This means you will probably get a 10 or maybe even 11 on the real thing. If you're way off, still getting 6s and 7s, you need to re-evaluate your selection and comprehension strategies..

Anyways this is my 2 cents.. i hope it helps. Try it out, see if it works.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Guys/gals,
If you're getting 9s and 10s consistently, you're doing fine. This means you will probably get a 10 or maybe even 11 on the real thing.
not necessarily true. me for example, i consistently score 10-12 but only because of arts passages (imagine the computer is an arts passage+pissed+ ). but from what i hear the mcat is random. might get 3 artsy, 2, or even just 1 (garenteed at least 1). and plus u got a random curve to worry about. a friend of mine was scoring 12s on practice exams and got a 7 on the real thing. dunno if it was nerves or scaling, but either way he thought he was set and got screwed.

Of course some of this is humor, but it really does hold truth. You seriously just need to practice verbal like crazy and the caffeine really helps you to focus on it better.

Overall good strategy. :thumbup:

thank you so much! this is what i needed to hear! i was getting 8-13 on all the practice tests, but i ended up getting a 7 on the 4/12 test :confused: . i am planning to retake it on 7/13.

Members don't see this ad :)
firebird, how much time did you give yourself before you retook the exam? a month? 2 months?

firebird, how much time did you give yourself before you retook the exam? a month? 2 months?

He said he took the test when it was still in the paper format. Those were only offered in April and August of each year, so I'd say he gave himself well over two months.