MS3 late to ophtalmology...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prica

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!!

I'm currently an MS3 just finishing my surgery clerkship. I come from a low tier school. I've always wanted to consider ophthalmology as a potential residency, but I've always been scared about the learning curve. Right now, I'm in my late 3rd year and nothing has interested me as much as ophthalmology. But I think it is a very intimidating field.

I shadowed for one day at the clinic and even though I was amazed by everything I learned, I felt very insecure about whether or not I'll be a good ophthalmologist. During that day I couldn't really grasp how to use the slit lamp or to perform the indirect exam. I've also never been able to properly examine the eye fundus with an ophthalmoscope. I even thought there is something wrong with my eyes, since I have moderate myopia (-5.50). Are those skills you are supposed to know before your 1st year of residency? I plan to do more shadowing to get more practice, but I felt very insecure.

I want to give it a second chance, so i would like to know what my chances are? The following are my stats:

GPA: 3.72 (Top 25%). Im expecting a 4.00 in MS3 as well.
Step1: 259 1st try.
Step2 CK & CS: Not yet taken
Research: 3 summers as an undergrad, 1 summer at MS1-MS2. Lots of posters and abstracts, no real publications.
Extracurriculars: Many service experiences, currently in a leadership position in my class board.
AOA: Nominated... members have not been announced yet.

I'm an underrepresented minority in medicine, if that is relevant at all. I'm hoping anyone around here could give me advice about my chances. What are some programs I can look into?

Members don't see this ad.

Medical schools notoriously neglect to teach med students much about ophtho. As a result, the average student simply does not know enough about ophtho to think much about it. Truth is, ophtho 'exam skills' are something that you will learn with time and practice. I think you would have a great shot at matching into ophtho. Just find some time to work with ophtho's who can write you great letters, try to get published in ophtho, and you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users