MS3 - Too much free time?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteosaur

I eat the whole patient
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying MS3 a lot compared to years 1 and 2. I've made it past IM, Surg, and FM with decent grades and now I'm just going in at 8 and getting home by 4-5. I have time to cook, do hobbies, and 20 or so questions. I'm really enjoying myself again.

During M1-M2 I used to be always stressing about stuff, doing Anki reviews until 8-9pm, and constantly stressed.

This isn't a brag or anything. I'm just not used to this much freedom and it feels wrong or there's something else I ought to be doing when not in school. Don't want to get bitten in the ass. I just can't bring myself to do Dorian or any of that garbage. Do I need to?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm really enjoying MS3 a lot compared to years 1 and 2. I've made it past IM, Surg, and FM with decent grades and now I'm just going in at 8 and getting home by 4-5. I have time to cook, do hobbies, and 20 or so questions. I'm really enjoying myself again.

During M1-M2 I used to be always stressing about stuff, doing Anki reviews until 8-9pm, and constantly stressed.

This isn't a brag or anything. I'm just not used to this much freedom and it feels wrong or there's something else I ought to be doing when not in school. Don't want to get bitten in the ass. I just can't bring myself to do Dorian or any of that garbage. Do I need to?
If you have performed and met your goals so far, stay the course. Don't think "this is not hard enough as I thought it should be." You obviously are doing fine. There will be time in the future to bust your behind. Enjoy life, and there are these things called hobbies that you mentioned. People like them I hear. Or spend time doing literally anything else you want for medicine or not (research, volunteerism, etc.)...or maybe just for self-advancement.

Btw, what rotation are you on? There is no way you were consistently getting in at 8 and leaving at 4 on surgery or even medicine

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the above, if you're being successful with those work hours then don't stress about not being at work more. If you reallyyy want to be productive, this seems like the perfect opportunity to add in a lil research. Or video games. Or naps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do some research, hit more practice Q's if you wanna honors, get a workout routine going. There is no free time, there is only time- and how you choose to use it.

Reactions: 4 users
This is great. I hope MS3 can be similar for me. A question for MS3 students, are you supposed to be studying an hour a day after shifts and more on weekends? Or nay?

This is how I felt at first during third year. I felt like expectations during M1/M2 were just insane most of the time. Then you get to rotations and you legit just show up on time and kinda try.

Reactions: 2 users
I am a fourth year and felt that MS3 was absolutely miserable. Glad you are enjoying it though. Just keep in mind that application season will be coming up fast and now is really your last chance to add things to your CV. Most importantly, you have CK coming up. I would recommend trying to get it out of the way early and possibly take it over the summer if you can. I saw too many people put it off this year and it can affect how many interviews you get.

I am a fourth year and felt that MS3 was absolutely miserable. Glad you are enjoying it though. Just keep in mind that application season will be coming up fast and now is really your last chance to add things to your CV. Most importantly, you have CK coming up. I would recommend trying to get it out of the way early and possibly take it over the summer if you can. I saw too many people put it off this year and it can affect how many interviews you get.
Agreed. While it was incredibly satisfying to be part of clinical teams and contribute to actual patient care, I now had to deal with all of the drama from the wards as an MS3 on top keeping up with Anki decks, UWorld, and research projects. I agree that CK score is important to have before you apply. Even before Step 1 was going P/F, the PD of OB/GYN and Radiology at my institution told me that they indirectly favored applicants who had a complete application and thus "ready to be ranked". I understand this may be different at other institutions, but I did not want to take any chances.

Last edited:
That sounds awesome, but personally, I found third-year to hinder my time.

M1/M2 I had complete flexibility and control of my schedule, which allowed me to better manage my time for research and tutoring (and any other sort of income), as well as working on other things such as my hobbies or pet projects.

M3 I'm busy most of the day now and making far less money which sucks for a year that I have to travel and move more.

I’m feeling this way, too. M1 and M2 sucked but M3 has been pretty awesome. I had 5+ years of strong clinical experience coming in, and it’s made a huge difference. Combining previous experience with new med school knowledge, I feel very comfortable this year. I’m very happy to be productive and helpful. I’m also getting excellent feedback from the people I work with, so I’m getting the warm fuzzies from that, too. I’m honestly probably the happiest I’ve been in my life LMFAO.

I almost feel like I’m too comfortable. Lots of days I don’t study at all - I am constantly on up to date looking up the minutiae of treating the patients I’m seeing while I’m in the clinical setting, so I figure I’m getting enough learning in at my site. I’m replaying a lot of video games and watching a lot of TV right now... and sometimes I wonder if my likely less than two hours a week of studying outside of “work hours” is going to bite me later.

Reactions: 4 users
If you have performed and met your goals so far, stay the course. Don't think "this is not hard enough as I thought it should be." You obviously are doing fine. There will be time in the future to bust your behind. Enjoy life, and there are these things called hobbies that you mentioned. People like them I hear. Or spend time doing literally anything else you want for medicine or not (research, volunteerism, etc.)...or maybe just for self-advancement.

Btw, what rotation are you on? There is no way you were consistently getting in at 8 and leaving at 4 on surgery or even medicine

psychiatry! Got medicine and surgery and the other hard ones out of the way.

Yeah I'm trying to do some UWorld questions and uptodate my patients. I just can't do anki and review books anymore. And all the research and premed volunteering stuff I'm just over. Sort of at this point where I don't want a competitive specialty and I just want to live life when i can. It feels like compacency, but maybe M1 and M2 are just weird years no human should go through.

I almost feel like I’m too comfortable. Lots of days I don’t study at all - I am constantly on up to date looking up the minutiae of treating the patients I’m seeing while I’m in the clinical setting, so I figure I’m getting enough learning in at my site. I’m replaying a lot of video games and watching a lot of TV right now... and sometimes I wonder if my likely less than two hours a week of studying outside of “work hours” is going to bite me later.

Feels good knowing I'm not alone in this.

Oh gosh, I miss all my free time during MS3 year. As an intern I'm often working 14+ hr days right now and some days feel like I never see the sun. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I'm doing, but the hours are way worse in residency - don't worry it'll come faster than you think.

There is no free time, there is only time- and how you choose to use it.
Agreed 100p w/ poster above.

There are gonna be some rotations where you feel like you could not show up and it wouldn't matter. Take advantage of your free time for self care, Board Qs or other things you won't get to do later.

You'll thank yourself later when you're on a rotation w/ no free time for anything other than sleep.

Read up on things your patients have. Do board questions. Play videogames. Relax. Exercise. Enjoy your life.

MS3 is very rotation by rotation when it comes to quality of life and free time, so take it while you can get it. 4th year is better still, but then intern year will hit you like a sock full of ball bearings.

Depending on the rotation, or even what clinic/ward/department of the rotation you're assigned to can be extremely chill with tons of free time. We used to explore restaurants, go to events, explore each other, all good stuff. Enjoy the time, study for Step II, research, Cyberpunk 2077..

• Haha

Don't change anything. Even if worst case scenario and you're program is cush and you're headed for a wake up call in residency there's nothing you can do about that. (<I don't actually think that's the case just trying to make a point).