MS4 in dilemma. What are my options, if any?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msk1221

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am an MS4 that applied tabs interviewed for radiology and another specialty, due to indecisiveness between the 2. I interviewed for both, still felt lost, and ended up ranking both. I matched into the other specialty, but now I am on a rotation where I am having serious doubts about it, and wish I had only applied to rads.

I was always interested in rads but was dissuaded by many attendings saying the future or the field was bleak. I wish I hadn't listened to them.
I realize that I have made a series of bad calls, and deserve the situation I put myself in. However if anyone has any advice on if I still have any options to do radiology, I would greatly appreciate it.
I matched into a Transitional year for the upcoming year, after which I would be going on to do my matched specialty (keeping that specialty anonymous for various reasons). Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You may have mistakenly typed out the matched specialty in your first sentence? Might want to edit that if you didn't mean to do that.

You may have mistakenly typed out the matched specialty in your first sentence? Might want to edit that if you didn't mean to do that.

Thank you. Oddly enough, that was a typo and not the matched specialty. Hah

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I am an MS4 that applied tabs interviewed for radiology and another specialty, due to indecisiveness between the 2. I interviewed for both, still felt lost, and ended up ranking both. I matched into the other specialty, but now I am on a rotation where I am having serious doubts about it, and wish I had only applied to rads.

I was always interested in rads but was dissuaded by many attendings saying the future or the field was bleak. I wish I hadn't listened to them.
I realize that I have made a series of bad calls, and deserve the situation I put myself in. However if anyone has any advice on if I still have any options to do radiology, I would greatly appreciate it.
I matched into a Transitional year for the upcoming year, after which I would be going on to do my matched specialty (keeping that specialty anonymous for various reasons). Thank you.

Try reaching out the NRMP. I don't know how hard it is, but on this page, it says:

Waivers can be requested for unanticipated serious and extreme hardships or for change of specialty. It is the responsibility of the applicant to prove an unanticipated serious or extreme hardship. Waivers based on change of specialty must be requested by the December 15 prior to the start of training.

Try reaching out the NRMP. I don't know how hard it is, but on this page, it says:

Waivers can be requested for unanticipated serious and extreme hardships or for change of specialty. It is the responsibility of the applicant to prove an unanticipated serious or extreme hardship. Waivers based on change of specialty must be requested by the December 15 prior to the start of training.

Wouldn't that be, like, last December?