MS4 in need of Pedi Advice....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medready2005

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Fellow SDN'ers:

So I've survived all my third year rotations and there is no question that I want to go into pediatrics!!!! My fourth year schedule is set and I can't wait 'til I get started!!! 👍👍

In regards to Residency hunting, where do I start? I am already working on resume, but where do I go from here? I hope you all can help!! This is certainly an exciting and anxious time for me!!!! 🙂

Thx for any advice!!
 
Start with the first decision - where do you want to live? If you have a geographic region that you like, start looking there. Even if you find the best program ever, if it is in a city you already dislike, nothing is going to make you move there.

Then, start with the list of programs on FREIDA and you can search by region or state. Then, you need to figure out if you are a community hospital person or an academic, university medical center person. If you dont know, take a look at both. Some people also use the USnews and World Report rankings.

After that, make a list of programs and start looking at their websites, although many won't be up to date with any new information until probably late august.

There is some good stuff in the FAQ at the top of the forum front page that has links for residency search as well as the rankings.

Start there, and then from there you will form a list of secondary questions to ask yourself like "how big of a program do i want" and "do i want a program that has night float". Don't rule out anything until you have seen options in person, though. You may think you would hate q4 call, and then you might do a rotation that makes you think otherwise.

You are ahead of the game though, ERAS doesn't even open for submission until Sept 1 - plenty of time 🙂
 
Just to add to CrazyPeds527's post...

Talk to some of the pediatric residents and faculty at your home institution. Ask them about their experiences and keep open ears. Definitely don't take everything to heart but their experiences can help give you some perspective.

Also, reach out to alums who have gone into peds from your school. Again, more perspectives can help you develop your gut feel of what you want in a program.