MS4 Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking into where I want to do my audition rotation next year. Do any of the medical student rotations have a particularly good reputation for the quality of the education/experience?

I have a pretty good idea of what programs I'm most interested in matching at (and thus auditioning at). Any recommendations on choosing where to audition?

The one you think you have the best shot at? The one you think you'd want to go to most? The one in the part of the country you think you want to live in? The one with the "better reputation"? The one that's the most different from where you've been? Etc...

Members don't see this ad.

Bunch of things to think about.

First, I'd try to get some sense of how competitive an applicant you will be.
Scores, grades, etc.

If you are somewhere in the middle of the road, like most applicants, you want to make sure you end up matching somewhere. To do this, you need good LORs, which can be an issue as to where you do an away.
If you go to an ultra-competitive spot, you may end up looking like an average or even below-average student (compared to other great students rotating at a site).
This could mean a poor SLOR which will hurt you at all places.

Not saying this will happen. Just something to think about.

Outside of that point, I'd rotate at places you want to learn more about.
If there are 1 or 2 places you'd like to do residency, go there and check them out.

I wouldn't bother going to any place unless you have some interest in matching there.
Don't go to SUPER-program just to get a letter.
Not worth your time and it could backfire.

Do you have any geographic preferences?
If so, I'm sure people would be glad to recommend some programs in there area.

If you are around Philly, Christiana, Cooper and Temple will all give you a great experience as a student.

:luck:

How high up on the food chain is HCMC in minneapolis considered? Just got one set-up there and don't want to suck if everyone there is a rockstar.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. The one you think you'd want to go to most?
2. The one in the part of the country you think you want to live in?
3. The one that's the most different from where you've been?

These are the only questions you need to ask yourself. If you're really enthusiastic about a program or a geographic location, by all means check out the place for a month. You will be able to make a more informed decision when it comes time to your ROL. It also doesn't hurt to expose yourself to different environments out there to find out what sort of ED in which you'd like to work. But this question in particular isn't too important at the moment because from my experience most programs expose you to different types of ED during residency.

If you are somewhere in the middle of the road, like most applicants, you want to make sure you end up matching somewhere. To do this, you need good LORs, which can be an issue as to where you do an away.
If you go to an ultra-competitive spot, you may end up looking like an average or even below-average student (compared to other great students rotating at a site).

Looking average is a risk everywhere you go. Who knows the caliber of students at one particular program in one particular month? I say put in the effort to do well no matter where you go. Besides, the opposite could just as well happen. Imagine what a great SLOR could do for you. If you're serious about a place, make it happen.

If there are 1 or 2 places you'd like to do residency, go there and check them out.

Absolutely.

How high up on the food chain is HCMC in minneapolis considered? Just got one set-up there and don't want to suck if everyone there is a rockstar.

It's probably easier to just assume everyone else is a rockstar. Up your game. Work hard. Read more. Make yourself a rockstar too. (short answer: I don't know XD)

Last edited:
Bunch of things to think about.

First, I'd try to get some sense of how competitive an applicant you will be.
Scores, grades, etc.

Not saying this will happen. Just something to think about.

I wouldn't bother going to any place unless you have some interest in matching there.
Don't go to SUPER-program just to get a letter.
Not worth your time and it could backfire.

Do you have any geographic preferences?
If so, I'm sure people would be glad to recommend some programs in there area.

If you are around Philly, Christiana, Cooper and Temple will all give you a great experience as a student.

:luck:

I'm at Jeff and looking to do an away EM rotation. Christiana actually counts as our Jeff EM rotation so I'm mostly curious about Cooper and Temple. Can you talk at all about the pros/cons or even just list any notable differences? You mentioned grades and scores, do they matter much for aways or did you mean for the actual match?

I'm at Jeff and looking to do an away EM rotation. Christiana actually counts as our Jeff EM rotation so I'm mostly curious about Cooper and Temple. Can you talk at all about the pros/cons or even just list any notable differences? You mentioned grades and scores, do they matter much for aways or did you mean for the actual match?

There are some reviews of Cooper and Temple if you do a search.
I think they are pretty similar programs.
Inner city, lots of trauma, pathology related to patients without primary care.

Rotate at one of them if you are interested in that type of experience.
There are differences in the residency program, but if you like one you will probably like the other.

Go to Christiana if you want to experience a program on the opposite end of the spectrum.

As for grades etc, I was talking about matching, not for an away.
I did an away at Christiana and I don't remember them asking for any of that stuff.

I'd think about it for scheduling an away as an audition rotation.
Christiana is a pretty competitive program.
If you are below average in the grades/USMLE column, I'd think about it before rotating at a competitive program.
good chance you won't match there, so maybe do an away at a place where you have a more realistic shot.

Just my opinion.
Others will say you can go there, blow them away, and have a good shot at matching.

All 3 are excellent programs.

There are some reviews of Cooper and Temple if you do a search.
I think they are pretty similar programs.
Inner city, lots of trauma, pathology related to patients without primary care.

Rotate at one of them if you are interested in that type of experience.
There are differences in the residency program, but if you like one you will probably like the other.

Go to Christiana if you want to experience a program on the opposite end of the spectrum.

As for grades etc, I was talking about matching, not for an away.
I did an away at Christiana and I don't remember them asking for any of that stuff.

I'd think about it for scheduling an away as an audition rotation.
Christiana is a pretty competitive program.
If you are below average in the grades/USMLE column, I'd think about it before rotating at a competitive program.
good chance you won't match there, so maybe do an away at a place where you have a more realistic shot.

Just my opinion.
Others will say you can go there, blow them away, and have a good shot at matching.

All 3 are excellent programs.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure why you got the idea that I was not competitive. I think I'm actually very competitive. I have really liked my experiences at Christiana so far in third year and I'm hoping to do my EM rotation there in the first or second block of 4th year. I think they hold a few spots for Jeff students in the EM program because of the school affiliation so I'm cautiously optimistic about my chances.