MSAR book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drbound2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school Health Professions office does not have the MSAR book. I have learned alot from SDN, and wonder if it is worth buying the MSAR book for myself?

Placing MD applications this June. Is it really helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are applying in the next cycle (june 2011) i would get it.
but if you are applying in the june 2012 cycle, wait for the newer edition to come out in mid-late june next year

I'm pretty sure the new edition is available for purchase before June of each year, through AAMC and Amazon.com. It's definitely well worth purchasing.

You might also check your reference library. And possibly an old one could be available through an inter-library loan if you ask. There are tiny differences from year to year. There will be some new schools added each year, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MSAR costs $25. The most valuable section is the two page spread of data and text about each allopathic mediccal school in the US. This is a huge help in determing where you should or shouldn't apply. If you avoid applying to even one school where you have no chance of admission (due to out of state restrictions, etc) the MSAR will have paid for itself.

It may also come in handy when writing secondary applications and prepping for interviews as it is helpful to be able to point out what most attracts you to that school.

You might want to check with your local library or see if your college / university can get one through inter library loan. My local (city) library had several copies. You might not get the most recent version, but I bet most of the entrance stats don't change all that much from year to year. Once you narrow down your search, you can go online to get the most current information about tuition, prerequisites, and entrance stats if you like.

I've bought the last three editions even though I knew I wasn't applying until this year. Always helped to put things into perspective and set realistic goals about where I stood in comparison to what schools were looking for. Previous poster was right, spending the $25 is worth it if you can save yourself from applying to a school that you shouldn't/don't want to.

You might want to check with your local library or see if your college / university can get one through inter library loan. My local (city) library had several copies. You might not get the most recent version, but I bet most of the entrance stats don't change all that much from year to year. Once you narrow down your search, you can go online to get the most current information about tuition, prerequisites, and entrance stats if you like.

This. The library probably has it.

i believe the annual release date for this book is April. Yes, buy it.

The MSAR that's out right now is the 2011-2012 edition. You can wait until next spring when the 2012-2013 comes out. It actually comes out quite late (last week of April), and IMO they really should release it sooner. The 2011-2012 edition will probably be slightly discounted in late February/early March (spring break) to clear them out.

Can't imagine applying to medical schools without it.

There is a lot of useful information in the book that does not change much from year to year and it can be very useful to have it at the start of junior year (or even earlier) so waiting for the last edition to be published before you submit might cut you off from a valueable resource earlier in your pre-med career.

Having a copy of your own means you can put stickies in it, mark it up, and really use it compared with just consulting a copy on reserve in the pre-med office or library.

I think you should get it. Right before the new edition came out, they put the old edition either on sale or didn't make you pay shipping. Either way, it could save you some money to wait right before the next edition comes out. It's good to have all of that info in one book, and I highly doubt the stats would change dramatically one year to the next.

Another reason to get it sooner than later is some schools you might like to attend have requirements that go beyond the basics. The University of Colorado requires 9 semester hours of English and Hopkins 24 hours of humanities for example (I'm working off memory since I don't have my own copy, so don't hold me to these numbers...you get the idea though).

Another reason to get it sooner than later is some schools you might like to attend have requirements that go beyond the basics. The University of Colorado requires 9 semester hours of English and Hopkins 24 hours of humanities for example (I'm working off memory since I don't have my own copy, so don't hold me to these numbers...you get the idea though).

I agree. The reason I bolded 2011-2013 edition was not to suggest you wait for it, but rather so you weren't confused on what is the latest edition (that happened to me). I think for any pre-med student the earlier you get one, including the reasons accidentprone mentioned, the better prepared you are. Hard to imagine your school doesn't have one, but in reality the few dollars you spend for those books is small compared to the thousands you will probably spend when applying/interviewing to multiple medical schools.

Last edited: