MSAR data for financial aid friendliness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glassdyr

Reaction score
Help! I'm poor! I'm preparing to apply this cycle and trying to pinpoint schools that would be a good financial investment i.e. are likely to give scholarships. There are a few data points on MSAR that could be interpreted differently and I was curious what the general consensus is.

Average undergraduate indebtedness: If a school has lower indebtedness, would that be a result of financial aid or parents having fat chequebooks? For example, U Vermont has an ungodly $229,642 while must T20s are much lower, usually <$150k (not great, but still...)

Disadvantaged status: Would this be an indicator of good financial aid at a school, if a bunch of us poor people go to a certain school?

Percentage receiving aid: This seems the most promising, but U Vermont still has very high tuition and a high indebtedness, even though 88% receive aid. Should I skew my application towards schools with high aid percentages?

I'm also keeping city cost of living in mind and judging that as a factor. What else could I be looking for on admissions websites?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't use MSAR. Go directly to the schools financial aid pages and do some searching on here. Many of the top schools have started debt-free programs for low-income students. Many of them also offer merit scholarships. Disadvantaged status just shows what percentage of the class is disadvantaged, so not necessarily a proxy for good financial aid.

Reactions: 2 users
Percentage receiving aid: This seems the most promising, but U Vermont still has very high tuition and a high indebtedness, even though 88% receive aid. Should I skew my application towards schools with high aid percentages?
This one is a tough one to base your decision on too because a school can give little amounts of aid to large amounts of students, and that would skew the % of students receiving aid higher. Like @ihoop24 said, I recommend looking at individual schools' websites to see whether they have any formal merit/need-based aid programs. You can use average indebtedness to get started with your research tho.

Reactions: 1 user