MSAR Data on Hawaii

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AthensBeth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone check the MSAR for the stats on University of Hawaii? Mainly, how many out-of-state students do they interview?

Members don't see this ad.

hey, so i dont know stats, but i did submit a primary app there, and they sent me a secondary, and in the cover letter they explained that in general, the out of state students they accept still have some connection to hawaii, or some garunteed commitment to it in the future.

AthensBeth said:
Could someone check the MSAR for the stats on University of Hawaii? Mainly, how many out-of-state students do they interview?

Well, since nobody else would do it for you :smuggrin:

For the 2002-2003 first year class, they received 881 applications from out-of-staters, interviewed 83 of them, and accepted 6 of them. Looks grim.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not entirely grim. If they interview 83 and accept 6, that means they offered positions to more. Not everyone offered a position goes, especially somewhere as far as Hawaii when they may have acceptances to top schools on the mainland. I'm thinking maybe 20 out of those 83 have a chance at a spot. I'm still waiting for an interview though, so maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up! They told me to take Cell Biology (a req there) next semester to still be eligible, and I sent them my schedule. So, hopefully, I'll hear something soon.

I don't have the MSAR stats on hand, but I have a personal story that might help...

A friend of mine was granted an interview at Hawaii last year as an out-of-stater. He said that he loved the place, but they definitely asked him in his interview why he wanted to go to Hawaii, and what ties he had with the place (i.e. family, etc.); I guess that they put a lot of weight on these things. So I guess that if you end up having an interview there, you should be prepared to answer those things :)

GL!

Thanks, I've been thinking about answering this question. I'm not too worried because I genuinely want to make Hawaii my residence. I wrote in an update letter to them that my fiance wants to open an immigration law firm there. While it isn't an existing family connection, hopefully, it will be a compelling enough to consider me.

Here's the deal with out of staters and Hawaii.

Hawaii's medical school has a mission which they take very seriously. They want to provide physicians to the oceanic population. To this end, they have a list of 5 criteria that "tie" you to the island. I don't remember exactly what these items are, but I'm sure you can find it on their website. In any case, if an out of state applicant does not meet 3 of these 5 requirements, they are not considered for admissions. It's that simple.

I checked into this about a year ago because at the time, I was very serious with a girl who is going to do her graduate work in archaeology at hawaii and was considering followinger her. But needless to say that as a white boy from kansas, there's no way I could get it. Also, their class size at the med school in Hawaii is very small, like 60 some people.

So unless you're of strong polynisian decent, you're probably going to have to wait until residency to go to hawaii.

AthensBeth said:
Thanks, I've been thinking about answering this question. I'm not too worried because I genuinely want to make Hawaii my residence. I wrote in an update letter to them that my fiance wants to open an immigration law firm there. While it isn't an existing family connection, hopefully, it will be a compelling enough to consider me.

my sister and brother in law live in hawaii. from their experiences, i think it is safe to say that your fiance needs to do some extensive background research to see if it's even feasible to open up a law firm in hawaii. if he does not have any connection to hawaii and he is just another 'haole' coming to their island to start a business, his practice will never get off the ground. the only way to get anything done there is if you form connections with a local who has extensive roots in hawaii, and everybody will still be skeptical and give you crap because you are a 'haole'. it takes a long time to get respect in that community because the locals see so many people come and go. furthermore, there is a lot of resentment against haoles coming from the mainland and taking their islands and culture away from them. i would suggest that he works there for a few years and lay all the groundwork;ie, relationships before even considering going into business for himself. hawaii looks like paradise on tv, but it takes a lot of commitment and hard work to establish a life there.

I've heard about haole prejudice, but it doesn't discourage me from moving there. Immigration law doesn't seem like a field that would be off-limits to haoles in Hawaii. Immigration workers work with immigrants, who, by definition would not be Hawaiian anyway.

AthensBeth said:
I've heard about haole prejudice, but it doesn't discourage me from moving there. Immigration law doesn't seem like a field that would be off-limits to haoles in Hawaii. Immigration workers work with immigrants, who, by definition would not be Hawaiian anyway.

im not trying to dissuade you or your bf. i've just heard plenty of stories from my sister and brother in law that live on oahu about professionals that go over there with grand ideas and get shut down because they don't understand how things get done there. what i was saying has nothing to do with the make up of the clientele. its dealing with the other professionals whose families have been there for generations. owning and running a practice, business, or whatever in hawaii requires more than just having a client base. the right people need to be on your side over there for anything to happen in the business world. say he goes over there, starts up a practice, and is doing very well. well, if he does too well, then some of the local lawyers in that field take offense. if you haven't paid your dues there and established the right relationships, you'll notice life there becomes increasingly difficult. car breaks down. . .surprise, nobody can fix it, etc.

AthensBeth said:
That's not entirely grim. If they interview 83 and accept 6, that means they offered positions to more. Not everyone offered a position goes, especially somewhere as far as Hawaii when they may have acceptances to top schools on the mainland. I'm thinking maybe 20 out of those 83 have a chance at a spot. I'm still waiting for an interview though, so maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up! They told me to take Cell Biology (a req there) next semester to still be eligible, and I sent them my schedule. So, hopefully, I'll hear something soon.

True enough on that count, although if you're #20, you might not find out 'till August that you're in. Good luck anyhow!