MSAR Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc331

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where in the MSAR online it states what schools accept online courses? I was told that it's listed in there somewhere. I hope I didn't just waste 20 dollars.

Members don't see this ad.

How good is that MSAR online? Is it worth the money?

Members don't see this ad :)
Allen,

Would you be able to state the schools that accept online prereqs both MD and DO? Its always great to have that bit of information just in case.

Allen,

Would you be able to state the schools that accept online prereqs both MD and DO? Its always great to have that bit of information just in case.

My friend,

I took it upon myself to buy the MSAR and document all the schools accepting online prereqs. I'm almost done with the list. I will post here shortly, but for sake of keeping this site organized look to my other thread for the complete list. "Schools accepting online prereqs" That thread will include all the DO schools that have replied to me so far as well as the MD schools that accept them according the MSAR.

Last edited:
United States Medical Schools
Albany Medical College (Albany, New York) - No
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University (Bronx, New York) - No
Baylor College of Medicine (Houston, Texas) - No
Boston University School of Medicine (Boston, MA) - No
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University (Greenville, NC) -
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine (Cleveland, Ohio) – Case by case basis
Central Michigan University College of Medicine – Case by Case
Chicago Medical School -- Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science (North Chicago, IL) - No
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (New York, NY) – No
Cooper - No
Creighton University School of Medicine (Omaha, NE) – Case by Case
Dartmouth Medical School (Hanover, NH) – YES!!!
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA)
Drexel University College of Medicine (Philadelphia, PA) - No
Duke University School of Medicine (Durham, NC) - Case by Case
East Tennessee State University - James H. Quillen College of Medicine (Johnson City, TN) – YES!
Eastern Virginia Medical School (Norfolk, VA) – No
Emory University School of Medicine (Atlanta, GA) – No
Florida Atlantic – Case by Case
Florida International University College of Medicine (Miami, FL) – Case By Case
Florida State University College of Medicine (Tallahassee, FL) - Case by Case
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences (Washington, DC) - No
Georgetown University School of Medicine (Washington D.C.) – Case by Case
Harvard Medical School (Boston, Massachusetts) - No
Hofstra – Case by Case basis!
Howard University College of Medicine (Washington, DC) – No
Icahn – Case by Case
Indiana University School of Medicine (Indianapolis, IN) - No
Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine at Marshall University (Huntington, WV) – Case by Case
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (Baltimore, MD) - No
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA) - No
Loma Linda University School of Medicine (Loma Linda, CA) - No
Louisiana State University HSC - School of Medicine at New Oreleans (New Orleans, LA) - No
Louisiana State University HSC - School of Medicine in Shreveport (Shreveport, LA) - No
Loyola University Chicago - Stritch School of Medicine (Maywood, IL) - No
Mayo Medical School -- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine (Rochester, MN) - no
Medical College of Georgia - School of Medicine (Augusta, GA) - No
Medical College of Wisconsin (Milwaukee, WI) - No
Medical University of South Carolina - College of Medicine (Charleston, SC) - no
Meharry Medical College (Nashville, TN) - No
Mercer University School of Medicine (Macon, GA) – Case by case
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (East Lansing, MI) - YES!
Morehouse School of Medicine (Atlanta, GA) - No
Mount Sinai School of Medicine (New York, NY) – Case by case (same as Icahn)
New York Medical College -- School of Medicine (Valhalla, NY) – Case by Case
New York University School of Medicine (New York, NY) - No
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine (Rootstown, OH) – N/A
Northwestern University - Feinberg School of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – Case by Case
Ohio State University College of Medicine (Columbus, OH) – Case by case
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine (Portland, OR) – Case by case
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine (Hershey, PA) - No
Ponce School of Medicine (Ponce, Puerto Rico) - No
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center (Chicago, IL) – YES!
Saint Louis University School of Medicine (St. Louis, MO) - No
San Juan Bautista School of Medicine (Caguas, Puerto Rico) – Case by case
Sanford School of Medicine of the University of South Dakota (Sioux Falls, SD) - No
School of Medicine at Stony Brook University Medical Center (Stony Brook, NY) - No
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (Springfield, IL) – YES!
Stanford University School of Medicine (Stanford, CA) – YES!
SUNY Downstate Medical Center - College of Medicine (Brooklyn, NY) - no
SUNY Upstate Medical University - College of Medicine (Syracuse, NY) - no
Temple University School of Medicine (Philadelphia, PA) - No
Texas A & M Health Science Center - College of Medicine (College Station, TX) – Case by Case
Texas Tech University HSC - Paul L. Foster School of Medicine (El Paso, TX) – YES!
Texas Tech University HSC School of Medicine (Lubbock, TX) - NO
Thomas Jefferson University -- Jefferson Medical College (Philadelphia, PA) – Case by case
Tufts University School of Medicine (Boston, MA) – YES!
Tulane University School of Medicine (New Orleans, LA) - No
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences - F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine (Bethesda, MD) - no
Universidad Central del Caribe - School of Medicine (Bayamon, Puerto Rico) – Case by Case
University at Buffalo - School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (The State University of New York) – Case by Case
University of Alabama School of Medicine (Birmingham, AL) - No
University of Arizona College of Medicine (Tucson, AZ) – YES!
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences -- College of Medicine (Little Rock, AR) - No
University of California Davis - School of Medicine (Sacramento, CA) - No
University of California Irvine - School of Medicine (Irvine, CA) – YES!
University of California San Diego - School of Medicine (San Diego, CA) - No
University of California San Francisco - School of Medicine - No
University of Central Florida College of Medicine (Orlando, FL) - No
University of Chicago - Pritzker School of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – Case by case
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (Cincinnati, OH) - Yes
University of Colorado School of Medicine (Denver, CO) – YES!
University of Connecticut School of Medicine (Farmington, CT) – Case by Case
University of Florida College of Medicine (Gainesville, FL) – Case by Case
University of Hawaii at Manoa - John A. Burns School of Medicine (Honolulu, HI) – Case by Case
University of Illinois College of Medicine (Chicago, IL) – case by case
University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine (Iowa City, IA) – Case by Case
University of Kansas School of Medicine (Kansas City, KS) - No
University of Kentucky College of Medicine (Lexington, KY) – YES!
University of Louisville School of Medicine (Louisville, KY) – Case by Case
University of Maryland School of Medicine (Baltimore, MD) - No
University of Massachusetts School of Medicine (Worcester, MA) - No
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey - New Jersey Medical School (Newark, NJ) - No
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey - Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (Piscataway, NJ) - No
University of Miami - Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine (Miami, FL) - No
University of Michigan Medical School (Ann Arbor, MI) – YES!
University of Minnesota Medical School (Minneapolis) – Case by Case
University of Mississippi Medical Center School of Medicine (Jackson, MS) - No
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine – YES!
University of Missouri - Columbia School of Medicine (Columbia, MO) – YES!
University of Nebraska Medical Center - College of Medicine (Omaha, NE) – YES!
University of New Mexico School of Medicine (Albuquerque, NM) – Case by case
University of Nevada School of Medicine (Reno, NV) - No
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill School of Medicine (Chapel Hill, NC) – case by case
University of North Dakota - School of Medicine and Health Sciences (Grand Forks, ND) – case by case
University of Oklahoma College of Medicine (Oklahoma City, OK) – YES!
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (Philadelphia, PA) – Case by case
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (Pittsburgh, PA) – No
University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine (San Juan, Puerto Rico) - No
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry (Rochester, NY) - No
University of South Alabama College of Medicine (Mobile, AL) – Case by case
University of South Florida College of Medicine (Tampa, FL) – N/a
University of Tennessee HSC College of Medicine (Memphis, TN) – case by case
University of Texas HSC - San Antonio School of Medicine (San Antonio, TX) - Na
University of Texas Medical Branch School of Medicine (Galveston, TX) = No
University of Texas Medical School at Houston - No
University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio – case by case
University of Texas SMC at Dallas - Southwestern Medical School (Dallas, TX) – case by case
University of Toledo College of Medicine (Toledo, OH) – YES!
University of Utah School of Medicine (Salt Lake City, UT) – YES!
University of Virginia School of Medicine (Charlottesville, VA) - No
University of Vermont College of Medicine (Burlington, VT) – case by case
University of Washington School of Medicine / Alaska WWAMI – Yes!
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (Madison, WI) – case by case
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine (Nashville, TN) – no
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (Richmond, VA) – case by case
Wake Forest University School of Medicine - Bowman Gray Campus (Winston-Salem, North Carolina) – case by case
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University (Providence, RI) – case by case
Washington University in St. Louis - School of Medicine (St. Louis, MO) - no
Wayne State University School of Medicine (Detroit, MI) - no
Weill Cornell Medical College (Manhattan, NY) – case by case
West Virginia University School of Medicine (Morgantown, WV) - no
Wright State University - Boonshoft School of Medicine (Dayton, OH) – case by case
Yale University School of Medicine (New Haven, CT) - no

Can anyone guide me to this information in the online MSAR site please? Seems like the OP found it before anyone responded, but I'm still having a hard time locating it

Can anyone guide me to this information in the online MSAR site please? Seems like the OP found it before anyone responded, but I'm still having a hard time locating it

Hello, the access to the Medical School Admissions Registry (MSAR) can be found at: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/

It should be a required purchase in my opinion, it's well worth the money, in fact it'll probably cost people a lot more money by not purchasing the MSAR.

Hello, the access to the Medical School Admissions Registry (MSAR) can be found at: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/

It should be a required purchase in my opinion, it's well worth the money, in fact it'll probably cost people a lot more money by not purchasing the MSAR.

I think this person has the MSAR and needs to know where in the online guide this information is found, which I can't answer because I have a paper copy from several years ago.

So if a school listed above accepts online pre-reqs, I can take any online chemistry/math/bio course? Has anyone done this?

So if a school listed above accepts online pre-reqs, I can take any online chemistry/math/bio course? Has anyone done this?

Many schools will take online courses for some things (ie, english, psych, math) and NOT for prereqs like bio and chem that also require a lab.

I would look very carefully at the MSAR itself (not this list) and also contact the schools you are most interested in if this is something you plan on doing.

Quite frankly regarding the core prereqs that require lab (bio, chem, orgo, physics) I would not take them online as it will close many options to you...and fewer options is exactly what you don't want when applying.

That a school per policy is willing to accept online courses does not necessarily imply that they will look upon those courses equally/favorably. I would say that to date there are too few data points for anybody to certainly tell you how this would impact your application, particularly if the courses in question are pre-reqs. Unless you have an extremely compelling reason for taking such a class online (some sort of military situation, temporarily bed ridden, home tending a sick relative who lives in the tundra), I would avoid it at all costs.

Reactions: 1 users
I forget if the MSAR differentiated between regular prereqs and science courses with labs.

In another thread I listed the schools that I talked to specifically about science courses and labs.

Like others have said you should do some extra due diligence regarding the specific schools you want to apply to. Feel them out before you make a decision.

I am taking all of my prereqs online through The community college of Colorado system and will gladly be the guinea pig for the online vs. brick and mortar debate.

I have no other choice and I know others are in the same boat.

Be cautious on these forums. Most of us are premed or med students at best. Even accepted students really don't know what the adcoms are thinking and how they look at an applicant

Many med schools are incorporating online learning into their curriculum in one way or another. Times are changing and the old fashioned advice will be a thing of the past soon.

I don't know if that time is now, but it's coming.

Nova basically laughed at me when I called to ask if they are accepted. They told me of course they are and that they offer online courses too.

UNE has an extensive online curriculum for pre- med classes all geared to the medical side of the subjects. They obviously accept their own courses. :)

Don't take my word for it though. Call them yourself and update the forum on what they say.

Most of the schools that accept them only do so on a case by case basis according to the MSAR.

You can find this information by selecting a school and going to selection factors. There is a grid that shows the required courses and the school's stance on online credits and community college courses for each course.

The trend I noticed for my area is that most schools are fine with online/CC for non prereqs(some are sticklers though), most accept CC credits for pre reqs on a case by case basis, and most dont accept online courses for pre-reqs. Of course I believe the MSAR only shows info for MD schools, DO may be more understanding.

Most of the schools that accept them only do so on a case by case basis according to the MSAR.

You can find this information by selecting a school and going to selection factors. There is a grid that shows the required courses and the school's stance on online credits and community college courses for each course.

The trend I noticed for my area is that most schools are fine with online/CC for non prereqs(some are sticklers though), most accept CC credits for pre reqs on a case by case basis, and most dont accept online courses for pre-reqs. Of course I believe the MSAR only shows info for MD schools, DO may be more understanding.

That's correct. Online is a tough route. There's no doubt about that. I do believe it is possible though.

DO seem to be more accepting of online and non traditional paths to med school. I have a list started on another thread for DO schools I talked to personally.

I also think the where you're taking the online course from the university of Phoenix is a bit different than the university of some state. Also, non of my online courses from reputable state schools show up as online in my transcripts.

I also think the where you're taking the online course from the university of Phoenix is a bit different than the university of some state. Also, non of my online courses from reputable state schools show up as online in my transcripts.

Great point!

People will definitely want to steer clear of the degree mills and online programs with a bad reputation. Many top notch schools are offering these classes online and the transcripts say nothing about where they were taken.

Obviously, an applicant wouldn't want to lie if asked about the courses, but if they aren't asked no one will know.

I would think that for math/psych/socio courses where there's no lab, it would be ok to take them online (and psych/socio are being covered on new MCAT, but not necessarily a requisite course on transcripts), but classes with an attached lab would have to be taken in person.

Here's a snippet from UCF's med site (under Admissions FAQ):

Will online degrees be considered in the application process for the UCF M.D. Program?
We prefer course work based on in-residence classroom participation. In certain circumstances we may honor a limited amount of online course work usually not major related and not M.D. program required.

I guess the thing to find out is whether the new MCAT topics being included are courses you must take before med school, or if they are soley courses that are recommended and therefore can be taken online. If Goro or LizzieM could give insight that would be awesome.

Thanks for the insight Apollo. UCF is on the list above as not accepting online.

Just for clarification, the MSAR DOES state whether online classes are accepted for individual classes. In the selection factors tab of the online version it will list all pre-reqs and recommended courses. They are listed in a chart type format with Pre-req, recommended, lab, online accepted, community college accepted as the headers and they check off each section that applies.

The list above was compiled from this section for each school. If it states that online is accepted it is for all pre-reqs.

This is based solely on the MSAR so it is always safe to double check. Attached is an example.

upload_2013-12-12_13-39-17.png

Just noticed the above picture is an example of a school without lab. I know somebody on here will catch it and ask about labs. Here's an example for that. Again, check with the school yourself to confirm. Don't use the MSAR as the end all be all.

upload_2013-12-12_13-49-42.png

Add University of Arizona COM- Phoenix to the list of schools that accept online courses.