MSAR Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

listener23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When it says GPA or mcat of the 10th- 90th percentile, does that mean people with lower than the 10th percentile got in like the 1-9 %? or is the 10th percentile the lowest admitted GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

They do 10-90 to exclude outliers. It's a more accurate representation of the matriculating class. That's all.

No, it means that if their GPA range is 3.1-3.9, then approximately 10% of their matriculating students were below a 3.1, and subsequently 10% of the matriculating students are above 3.9. In other words, if you're not in that range (ie: you're lower than it), then you'd better have a really amazing story and have a lot of other things to make up the deficiency.....and even then, it's a long shot.

It's just a great way to gauge how competitive you would be in their applicant pool.

Reactions: 1 user
Although, I do have to say....I was below the MCAT 10%-90% at every single school (MD) that I applied to, and still ended up with 3 MD interviews (and 4 DO interviews). Someone has to be below their 10% :)

Reactions: 2 users