Quantcast

MSAR Question?

Travel to Ghana on the Ultimate Med Immersion
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

listener23

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
When it says GPA or mcat of the 10th- 90th percentile, does that mean people with lower than the 10th percentile got in like the 1-9 %? or is the 10th percentile the lowest admitted GPA?

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
They do 10-90 to exclude outliers. It's a more accurate representation of the matriculating class. That's all.

AkGrown84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
No, it means that if their GPA range is 3.1-3.9, then approximately 10% of their matriculating students were below a 3.1, and subsequently 10% of the matriculating students are above 3.9. In other words, if you're not in that range (ie: you're lower than it), then you'd better have a really amazing story and have a lot of other things to make up the deficiency.....and even then, it's a long shot.

It's just a great way to gauge how competitive you would be in their applicant pool.

Reactions: 1 user

AkGrown84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although, I do have to say....I was below the MCAT 10%-90% at every single school (MD) that I applied to, and still ended up with 3 MD interviews (and 4 DO interviews). Someone has to be below their 10% :)

Reactions: 2 users
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.