MSAR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sugar12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
When looking at the med school's average gpa to figure out which ones you should apply to, do you look at the matriculant gpa or the accepted students' gpa. The accepted one is quite higher than the matriculant gpa. I understand that many top students decide to go to other more prestigious schools which then lowers the average but when applying, which one should we consider?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
When looking at the med school's average gpa to figure out which ones you should apply to, do you look at the matriculant gpa or the accepted students' gpa. The accepted one is quite higher than the matriculant gpa. I understand that many top students decide to go to other more prestigious schools which then lowers the average but when applying, which one should we consider?
The accepted GPA/MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted. You're trying to figure out whether you'd get in, not how you'd compare to classmates if you chose to attend.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This question seems to be asked a lot. If high stats students are inflating accepted numbers, why not just average the accepted and matriculated values? I don't see why you need to use inflated numbers in selecting your schools.

If high stats students are inflating accepted numbers, why not just average the accepted and matriculated values?
You're trying to figure out whether they'd let you in. Looking at matric might tell you about their yield among high-end scores, but that isn't gonna be useful to you. Uunless, I suppose, you were a high-stats applicant wondering what places are least like to yield-protect.