MSAR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheElement

Being Lazzy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The current book says 2008 - 2009 but is that for people applying during this current cycle or for those that will apply this summer? I wanted to get the most up to date book before I shelled out the cash.

Members don't see this ad.

It is for the people who have already applied.

I think the next one comes out around June 2008.

'08-'09 would be for this coming (Summer 2008) application cycle. Waiting until June 2008 wouldn't allow you to research schools, etc. etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Waiting til June to get the next volume is a mistake. Most schools operate on rolling admissions, so earlier you get your stuff in the better. You should already have your schools selecte, or at least a good idea, before June, that way you can get you're primary done early.

Besides, I doubt the schools change drastically from year to year.

Amazon has it cheap. Or if you'd like, I can sell you mine really cheap. Don't need it anymore!! :D

APS... ehh?

I had an "out of date" version (a year older than the most current one) when applying this cycle, and it suited me just fine. As far as I know most of the numbers were fairly unchanging between the two editions, with the exception of minor potential increases in the GPAs/MCATs in the more current version. The trends, I figured, were probably about the same. It has served me very well.

If you're applying the next cycle, I'd suggest getting your hands on the current version ASAP.

Why is it so important to start picking schools to send primaries to so far before the application cycle?

Also, I thought the MSAR came out in April.

Why is it so important to start picking schools to send primaries to so far before the application cycle?

That way you can research the schools that are a good match for your stats and find out more about their programs online, etc..

Never too early to start.

The current book says 2008 - 2009 but is that for people applying during this current cycle or for those that will apply this summer? I wanted to get the most up to date book before I shelled out the cash.
Hell, I just got one for Christmas and I'm not applying until 2009. I really can't imagine any of the statistics changing so drastically that the information in the book won't be pertinent 18 months from now.

I agree with everyone else that the stats won't be changing much and any recent book is perfectly relevant...to answer you question directly though, the 2008-2009 book is definitely the book for people who have already applied/are going through the process right now...like other people said, the new one won't come out until april/may or so....so if you want a jumpstart on the process, use this book

Actually, the new one comes out in June, but you need to start looking at schools around April/May to get an idea of where you want to apply to. Besides, buying an older one saves paper and the stats really don't change that much.

I agree with everyone else that the stats won't be changing much and any recent book is perfectly relevant...

While I agree that the change won't be much in general, there are exceptions. In two years, my number one choice went from an average 3.40/28 to 3.70/31. Because of this shift, I went from a good applicant to a bad one. It's always nice to have updated numbers.

While I agree that the change won't be much in general, there are exceptions. In two years, my number one choice went from an average 3.40/28 to 3.70/31. Because of this shift, I went from a good applicant to a bad one. It's always nice to have updated numbers.

Actually... with the MCAT change, numbers might be a bit different. However, I recommend just asking people on the board for a few that you are most interested in. The other information about the school itself, policies, and critical dates don't change much, and an old MSAR would be just fine.

Applying is extremely time consuming and stressful because you have this additional thing in your life on top of everything else (school, work, EC's, life). I told myself I would get it all done over the summer, and although my primary was complete, the first secondaries I finished wasn't til September and had to wait til October for letters (Aside: as you think about schools, think about letter writers, the summer is usually more relaxed for most profs so hit them up then). Also, read the fine print. A few schools flat out will not accept out of state applicants, so if you apply, they will cash you fee on the way to the post office to mail your rejection letter. One school even had minimum MCAT #s. Lastly, some schools have requirements. UIC requires 2 courses of psych and 1 of anthro. Georgetown requires a year of English. It is useful to know what these schools require when doing class schedules.

AMCAS takes a while ~2-3 weeks to process you apps. Some schools wont send secondaries until your primary is complete. There is another thread on SDN about essays prompts. I doubt they change drastically from one year to the next, so if you're really on the ball, you can start brainstorming ideas for responses.

Also, if you are really concerned about the stats, most schools post entering class on their web site. Not as convient as a book, but still accessible.