MSAR & School-specific Accepted Info for MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kryptonian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought access to the newest edition of MSAR (2013-2014) but it seems that MSAR only has accepted GPA and MCAT range for MD-only. Other than the number of matriculants into MD/PhD, it does not have anything else pertaining to MD/PhD at all as advertised on its website. I am wondering if I am just having a bad edition or is it true that accepted GPA and MCAT range for each MD/PhD program is not listed in MSAR ? If the range is really not listed, which resource will have program-specific info about accepted GPA and MCAT range ? Only some programs post such info on their websites while most do not, and many of those have only matriculant data, which are deceptively lower than accepted data.

Also, in the MSAR, there is the lowest accepted MCAT score for MD-only at each school, can I safely assume that this number is also the cut-off MCAT score for MD/PhD program at that specific school ?

I am interested in knowing these numbers because I am narrowing down the MD/PhD program list that I am going to apply to, and one of my factors for choosing school to apply to is the accepted GPA and MCAT range. I searched the forum but could not find any thread that mentions resources for accepted range for each program. If there's really such a thread and/or my questions above are plain silly, I terribly apologize and hope someone can point me to the right direction.

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

There is no published resource for MD-PhD programs. Your only chance is looking on the website of the MD-PhD program or e-mailing them. My sense is that a lot of programs don't publish such stats because there tends to be a pretty big distribution within a given class and the average probably tends to vary from year to year. While MCAT and GPA are definitely important there are a lot of other factors that will let people with with lower scores/stats into good programs. If you want a more straight-forward answer though, at almost all places there typically isn't going to be much of a discrepancy between the MD-only class stats and the MD-PhD stats even though we like to think we are better.

I do not agree entirely with this. Generally the averages for md/phd programs are much higher than md only. Maybe at your top schools like Harvard there isn't much difference. But at a school like UNC for instance I know most md-only applicants have a mcat around a 30-33 and md/phd a 36-39 I'd think. I am no expert but I would add at least 2-3pts onto the md only mcat just to be safe. But honestly if you have a 34 vs. a 36 it's not gonna matter. The gpa and mcat are there to get you screened in after that it's what you did that starts mattering. Awesome research/pubs can help overcome a mcat/gpa as long as it isn't like a 2.5/27 type situation.

Do you mind telling us your stats? I would imagine a lot of ppl here could give you insight into the types of programs you could realistically get into and which ones should be reaches.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind telling us your stats? I would imagine a lot of ppl here could give you insight into the types of programs you could realistically get into and which ones should be reaches.

My stats are: cGPA: 3.76, sGPA: 3.75. For the MCAT, my AAMC practice tests have been consistently 30. I think I can get around 11-12 for each of the two science sections, but my verbal score really sores. On the AAMC, I got around 8 for verbal. On other practice materials, my verbal score ranges from 4 - 8. I do not think I can improve the verbal score to the national average in 2 weeks (taking the MCAT on 4/28). Although I may get some loosened view on my verbal score due to being an ESL speaker, I am afraid my application will be screened out due to the below average MCAT right at the first round. I have 2.5 years of research experience, no pubs, only 1 local poster, and ~ 400 hours of clinical experience. I know I have long shot for MSTP, so any non-MSTP MD/PhD program is terrific for me. What makes me concerned most is, the national median for MCAT is already 32 for MD-only, and most programs in USnews 60-90 range have their median around this score for MD-only. I imagine MD/PhD may be higher.

Last edited:
You're ESL but a US citizen, right? The application process is very different (and much harder) for foreign nationals. Are you planning to apply this cycle?
Would you consider taking another year off? You might be able to improve your MCAT score and beef up your research credentials (and hopefully present a few more posters). I assume you're done with undergrad and you're already taking one year off?

You're ESL but a US citizen, right? The application process is very different (and much harder) for foreign nationals. Are you planning to apply this cycle?
Would you consider taking another year off? You might be able to improve your MCAT score and beef up your research credentials (and hopefully present a few more posters). I assume you're done with undergrad and you're already taking one year off?

I am not a US citizen yet, but I am a Permanent Resident. Yes, I am planning to apply this cycle. I graduated in June 2011, so yes I have already taken one year off. Honestly, I really do not want to take an additional year off due to a couple of personal issues. Is my profile too weak even for a non-MSTP MD/PhD ?

Is my profile too weak even for a non-MSTP MD/PhD ?

Personally, I don't think so. I think that you will do fine and get in somewhere. Just apply broadly. Who knows, you may even have a shot at an MSTP. I think that as long as you hit 30, keep up your research, and are able to express why you want to do this pathway, you will have a shot. This is especially because its your verbal thats holding you back and I think given your background schools will be a little flexible there.

I agree with ImagineThis that there's not really a need for you to take another year off. Your GPA and research experience look fine; your MCAT is likely to be your weakness (but you never know until you have your real score in hand).

If you can break 30 and apply appropriately (lower-tier MSTPs and fully funded non-MSTP MD/PhD programs) I think you should do fine as long as you can present yourself well in the interview and discuss your research intelligently.

Thank you everyone for the advices. I will give the coming MCAT my best and hopefully I can bring up the score a few more points to make my life a lot easier.

Thank you everyone for the advices. I will give the coming MCAT my best and hopefully I can bring up the score a few more points to make my life a lot easier.

Look into the University of Nebraska's program. It's a really great non-mstp program that for some reason only gets 40 applicants total or so. They interview 20 and accept about 6 students. I went in to my interview there not expecting much since it was my super safety school but really loved the program. You would be a very strong applicant there as long as you show your passion for research.