Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MSAR statistic to use for chosing OOS schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by gordony, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. gordony

gordony

What statistic is optimal for choosing OOS schools to apply to?
    i.e. Interview IS/Interview OS, Matriculants OS/Interviews OS, etc.

tonymarc likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. woltej1

woltej1 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Look at the raw stats, GPA and MCAT. Then look at how OOS applicants fair. So % of class that is OOS and % of applicants that result in interviews. Then look into how the school personally fits with you. Do they have a stated focus on say rural or family practice, serving a certain area, etc. If the stats are good, they are fairly kind to OOS and the school seems like a good fit and you legitimately would go there if accepted, then apply.

4. RikaN

RikaN

I looked at what percentage of total interviews are given to OOS applicants: (# OOS interviews offered) / (Total # OOS interviews + # IS interviews). I applied to upwards of 40 schools and just realized I did not get an interview at any public OOS school where this percentage was below ~30%.

(Also I did not bother applying to any public OOS school where this percentage was below 20% in the first place. I vaguely remember UMass, UC-Davis, and UMDNJ falling under this cutoff as well as others)

5. breakintheroof

breakintheroof MS-Zero 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    When looking at the raw stats, don't forget that state schools are likely to have greater competition for OOS spots, and therefore expect stats for OOS applicants to be a little higher.

The University of Michigan's applicant tracker illustrates this for this year's accepted class. Significantly higher MCAT average for accepted OOS applicants, though the average GPAs are the same.

upload_2014-5-16_15-28-24.png

6. gordony

gordony

off topic but This has to be one of the clearest, concise and helpful responses to a question. thanks.

About the ads