Msar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surf Rx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will probably have to reapply next year and am looking to buy the MSAR. Should I buy the 2007-2008 edition or wait until Spring to get the 2008-2009 edition when it comes out through AAMC? Who even knows when "Spring" is?

Members don't see this ad.

I will probably have to reapply next year and am looking to buy the MSAR. Should I buy the 2007-2008 edition or wait until Spring to get the 2008-2009 edition when it comes out through AAMC? Who even knows when "Spring" is?
You should wait to get the most recent version. I think the AAMC publishes on their website when it will be available, and if not, you can call them to ask. If you're antsy to see what the format is like, check with your local pre-med advisor...they probably have a copy of this year's version in their office for you to browse.

Def. wait...I got the older one b/c i just wanted to have it, and a lot of the information changed from one year to the next (biggest thing is avg. GPA, MCAT, etc., which have been going up slightly for many schools every year).

Does your library carry it? If so they'll probably update as soon as it comes out...at my school they have the newest version at the med school library on reserve (why med students would need an MSAR is beyond me :laugh:) and all the past editions in the regular collection

Members don't see this ad :)

Mos Def wait until the newest version comes out. For the 2007 cycle, the MSAR was released (and delivered!) with plenty of time for one of my friends to read through each medical school (lol) and decide which schools to apply to before AMCAS even started accepting primary submissions. There was even plenty of time for a less anal person like myself to order the MSAR, and slowly flip through it before AMCAS opened!

Personally, I thought the MSAR was a huge waste of money. The only thing I ever used the book for was to conveniently find admissions office addresses and phone numbers. A cheaper and better source of information can be found at med school's websites and with the USNews and World Report online rankings. Those have more detailed information on admissions statistics, curriculum and student body than can be found in the MSAR.

Personally, I thought the MSAR was a huge waste of money. The only thing I ever used the book for was to conveniently find admissions office addresses and phone numbers. A cheaper and better source of information can be found at med school's websites and with the USNews and World Report online rankings. Those have more detailed information on admissions statistics, curriculum and student body than can be found in the MSAR.

Stop it, you're killing me. You so funny, me love you long time:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey I'm not saying that the rankings are ideal, but USNews gives relatively the same (if not more) information about admission statistics than the MSAR does for half the price.

Oops! For a second there I thought the titile of the threat was MRSA! I guess the dislexia is trying to kick in today...:laugh: :smuggrin: