MSK fellowship - New match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvsr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m a current R3 applying in MSK. Since Msk is a new match this year, I have no idea how many places to interview at to secure a spot. It seems that in the past couple of years, it was pretty competitive.

For fellow applicants, how many interviews are you going to?
If any PDs would like to share how many applicants per spot they are interviewing?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as # of interviews per spot that’s pretty easy to calculate. When you interview at a program see how many total interview dates they have. Then on the interview day see how many total people are interviewing. Multiply them and you have an approximate number of interviewees for the application cycle. Then divide that by total # of fellows per year and you have the number of people interviewed per fellowship spot.

- From currently radiology PGY-4.

Make sure to have some safeties, such as programs with multiple spots that didn't fill in the past. If you're interviewing only at competitive programs or ones with 1 spot or internal candidates, maybe no number is safe. Most people I talked to interviewed at 7 to 9 msk programs. Most places with more than 1 spot seem to interview 4 to 8 candidates per spot. The 1 spot places usually still interview at least 10-15 candidates so odds are not that good.
I think there are slightly more spots than applicants across the country as a whole. Northeast and California much more competitive.