MSK fellowship questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theD.O.C.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just did a pain management elective with a physiatrist. His practice was much more than a "block shop" as I first thought it would be. It got me to thinking that I would love to have EMG's and MSK patients as well as the usual fibromyalgia multiple level failed fusion times 4 style patient to add variety to my day. I know some of this was covered in previous threads, but I was wondering about "real world" practice. So a few questions for those out in practice/soon to be out in practice.

First one, what if I DIDN'T do an interventional spine fellowship and either did a musculoskeletal (MSK) fellowship with intervention focus or took some PASSOR courses for intervention training. Would I still be able to do floro procedures in the real world (ie get priviledges, have patients, get insurance, not get hassels by rads and anesthesia more than usual) since I am not a "board certified" interventional spine guy.

Next question, for those folks that did an MSK fellowship what does your practice consist of in terms of: Spine procedures (and what kinds), Sports, EMG, Gen rehab, and other.

Last question, could anyone recommend a program in MSK that has good academic/research opportunities preferrably in Biomedical Engineering? I would like to get involved with teaching and have some ideas of pain mgmt projects or sports injury & biomechanic projects once I have more time on my hands.

Members don't see this ad.