MSO exception for physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY172

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, is anyone familiar with or have experience with the exception to the 8 year MSO for officers commissioned in critical medical specialty? According to the below document, medical officers owe 2 years, not 8 if commissioned into critical medical specialty (most specialties and medical students qualify for this if you read the regs carefully). Was wondering if anyone knows anything more about this? I always thought mso was 8 yrs no matter what.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, is anyone familiar with or have experience with the exception to the 8 year MSO for officers commissioned in critical medical specialty? According to the below document, medical officers owe 2 years, not 8 if commissioned into critical medical specialty (most specialties and medical students qualify for this if you read the regs carefully). Was wondering if anyone knows anything more about this? I always thought mso was 8 yrs no matter what.

Have a friend who is a CRNA who signed for 3 year contract (he was critical wartime specialty) and he only had a 3 year contract because he took a sign on bonus. So yes it's possible. Not sure what magic one must use to get the recruiter to push for this.

Oh and guess what happened when he was 6 months out from saying bye bye to his time in the reserves? They gave him orders to go overseas for a 9 month BOG tour. The green weenie always gets ya

I’m not following how this would apply to medical students as they are not critical wartime specialty. Your MSO is set based on your initial entry, so at least for medical students their MSO would be 8 years (in my read of things).

It would appear that the intent of this section is to be able to bring in a trained physician in a critical specialty and have them only have to serve for a short time thereby increasing the “appeal” of serving when a need is identified.

I think if you are a direct accession as a trained physician this likely applies, not to the typical HPSP/HSCP/FAP/USU, but happy to change my mind if you have amplifying guidance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

In table-1, it specifically lists students under critical skill category. Note it seems to refer to non-hpsp medical students in military.

That appears to only apply to MDSSP, and even that because that list uses the term “critical specialty” and not “critical wartime specialty” along with the fact the entire table has footnote #1 which states one must be a graduate.

There may be some nuance for MDSSP, but this does not apply to HPSP, USU, FAP, or HSCP.