MSPE, does it matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simpleguy2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know what programs want/ are looking for in MSPE?
1) Does MSPE really count for IMG(my MSPE is according to recommended guidelines by AAMC)? My MSPE has used words like outstanding(opening paragraph), distinguished candidate(in summary part of MSPE) for me, but the last graph in MSPE has divided students in to 4 categories(Below average(25%), Average(50%), Good(15%) and very good(15%). I have heard AMGs have categories like oustanding/excellent in graph. There is no such category in my graph, even if I am shown in top 15% category. Does it matter? What should I do? Will it affect my application and interview calls?
2) Do programs read all MSPE or specific parts only(considering they have too many applications)?
My scores are above mean in both steps, with US clinical experience(honors), research in US, but still no IVs so far? May be they are waiting for MSPE? But still not sure how much it counts for IMGs. Hope to get some luck after october 1st.

Members don't see this ad.

For IMG's, the MSPE is less important because usually it's not very helpful. Yours, on the other hand, does sound useful. The exact wording on the MSPE isn't important, as long as they explain what all of the words mean. It is still early for IMG invites at programs that mostly match US grads -- we're still digging through the US grad applications, which we usually do first.

For IMG's, the MSPE is less important because usually it's not very helpful. Yours, on the other hand, does sound useful. The exact wording on the MSPE isn't important, as long as they explain what all of the words mean. It is still early for IMG invites at programs that mostly match US grads -- we're still digging through the US grad applications, which we usually do first.

Thanks @ aProgDirector for the input. You and other attendings/program directors/ program coordinators(on SDN) have made this forum much more useful than other forums. :)