MSPE.....thoughts for fun (or torture)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

classof2011

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys....

Question for the more experienced (and overzealous) of us: Is it true that some programs have a tradition of staying up tonight to wait for the MSPE release so that there can be many (complete) applications waiting for immediate review in the morning?

I apologize to those I may be causing extra angst. I just find the rumor funny and interesting how just a few hours could appear to make a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, no. If one did the above, it'd likely be due to the PD or program coordinator's specific idiosyncracy. Take into consideration that in most programs, the problem is too many applications and having to sift through them in a way that somehow gets the better candidates into the program.

I would try not to worry about this process so long as you handed in everything on time and your prosects are at least decent. I would only be very worried and looking into every possible detail if this were a situation where it was of the utmost importance to be at a specific program (e.g. your dying mother who has 2 years to live is in the same city as the residency) or your prospects were bleak.

Most people worry their prospects are bleak but the reality is far from that for most. The problem here is that the closest reference the person has in this frustrating and new process (for the applicant) is getting into medical school. Getting into residency, IMHO, is more like getting into college for most. The odds are very strong you'd get into quite a few places (if there weren't a MATCH), but you want to get into the best one for you.

Last edited:
Hey Guys....

Question for the more experienced (and overzealous) of us: Is it true that some programs have a tradition of staying up tonight to wait for the MSPE release so that there can be many (complete) applications waiting for immediate review in the morning?

I apologize to those I may be causing extra angst. I just find the rumor funny and interesting how just a few hours could appear to make a difference.

I'm not sure there is anything to do the night before. My ERAS program has been downloading Dean's letters since September 1. They are just hidden from my view by the program. On Nov 1, they magically come available to me.