MSSCE + RREMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sardonicmedicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Three Questions:

1) Anyone know if a M1 can do both MSSCE and RREMS if they are at the same sponsor site? My guess is no.
2) How competitive are these two programs (20%?)? I'm at an in-state MD school if that matters.
3) If our application is accepted for RREMS, would it be awkward to turn it down for MSSCE given that we'll have worked with a sponsor to write up a 3-page proposal or will they understand? In other words, if I am lucky enough to get accepted to both, should I risk annoying a leader in our small field or risk annoying the MSSCE program coordinator?

My preference is to do a program like MSSCE or Northwestern because of the clinical exposure, but I think I also have genuine research ideas for the sponsor site I want to contact for RREMS. I am planning to apply to all three and other summer programs too (let me know if there are any PM&R specific ones I'm missing).

Overall, I just want more exposure to PM&R (have already shadowed a rehab physician at my school, joined AAPM&R, gone to the interest group meetings, etc.). Worst possible outcome is that I end up relaxing during my last real summer, haha.

Any wisdom will be appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: Links below

http://www.physiatry.org/?page=MSSCE_students
http://www.physiatry.org/?page=RREMS_students

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. 99% sure you can't. But can you do RREMS and shadow on the side, or vice versa? Definitely!
2. Can't site numbers, but it's competitive. I think LORs may be a big factor.
3. Pick RREMS to pursue...it has more long term benefit. As long as you do the minimum required, you're guaranteed to have a project, abstract, and presentation at AAP. This is something that will stay on your CV. The ceiling opportunity via this summer (Pubs) is high. Also, there's little utility for the clinical teams to have someone at your level of training. You'll be forgotten come MS4. But the benefit of exposing you to the clinical aspect of physiatry can be obtained if you're proactive and seek out shadowing while doing RREMS.

Reactions: 1 user
@colourmebadd - for context, would you mind sharing what level of training/attending you are in?

I apologize! I had no idea that MSSCE lets you publish a case report and come to AAP! If that's the case, and you're leaning towards heavy clinical exposure then go for it! But also like @colourmebadd said, the programs are getting competitive. It's a fantastic idea to apply to both.

1. you can apply to both but you definitely cannot complete both. It is more difficult to tack on a research component to the MSSCE, whereas RREMS participants can always have a few days of clinic, inpatient, or procedures to round out the experience.

2. Not sure anyone outside of the selecting committee knows percentages, but I think it's getting more and more competitive.

3. depends on your project mentor, but if there's any amount of ground work they do and you turn down RREMS after being accepted for it, regardless of whether you do MSSCE or something else, they may get disappointed. if so, will they blacklist you from their program or the speciality as a whole? no. It sounds like you're leaning toward MSSCE or the RIC externship as it is. Lots of med students feel compelled to do research over the summer because their peers are as well. research is becoming more important in PM&R residency applications, but it is not mandatory. the MSSCE program offers a lot of good clinical exposure to students.

Also, just to contrast with @cameroncarter, I've had MSSCE students on my inpatient team and it was absolutely useful having them. I was actually impressed how much clinical knowledge they had and started to have them work on exam skills, more formal (albeit still informal) presentations and note writing. also, the MSSCE also guarantees a case report abatract and poster at AAP. while you can debate the merits of research vs case report, either way you get exposure to academic physiatry and something for your CV.
1. you can apply to both but you definitely cannot complete both. It is more difficult to tack on a research component to the MSSCE, whereas RREMS participants can always have a few days of clinic, inpatient, or procedures to round out the experience.

2. Not sure anyone outside of the selecting committee knows percentages, but I think it's getting more and more competitive.

3. depends on your project mentor, but if there's any amount of ground work they do and you turn down RREMS after being accepted for it, regardless of whether you do MSSCE or something else, they may get disappointed. if so, will they blacklist you from their program or the speciality as a whole? no. It sounds like you're leaning toward MSSCE or the RIC externship as it is. Lots of med students feel compelled to do research over the summer because their peers are as well. research is becoming more important in PM&R residency applications, but it is not mandatory. the MSSCE program offers a lot of good clinical exposure to students.

Also, just to contrast with @cameroncarter, I've had MSSCE students on my inpatient team and it was absolutely useful having them. I was actually impressed how much clinical knowledge they had and started to have them work on exam skills, more formal (albeit still informal) presentations and note writing. also, the MSSCE also guarantees a case report abatract and poster at AAP. while you can debate the merits of research vs case report, either way you get exposure to academic physiatry and something for your CV.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been accepted/heard back from the MSSCE program?

Has anyone been accepted/heard back from the MSSCE program?

Nope. I'm still waiting to hear back as well. When I submitted all they said was "We will be making final decisions in early March and will notify all applicants of their acceptance status at that time."

Did you guys also apply for the RIC externship? Also haven't heard anything yet from MSSCE.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile