MSSM vs USC Keck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greel9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey
I'm yet to see these 2 schools compared, and being that they both seem to have quite happy students and good research + academics, I'm interested in seeing what people think. I think both are great schools, which is complicating my decision.. Sinai's about $10k/yr cheaper, and in NYC which is 1000x better than LA. I figure Sinai has an overall better reputation but I was really impressed by Keck and I think it's on its way up. Both schools appeared to have a content and motivated student body, and an administration that is student-friendly. Sinai's research interests are closer to mine, but there is also ample opportunity at Keck to do what I want in that arena. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

the common advice for people torn between two schools is to take the cheaper one. however, you don't lay out many reasons for choosing keck other than "i think its on its way up". given that mssm is cheaper and in a city that you would enjoy more, it seems like an easy choice.

go with the cash and the city that you obviously are more partial to... you'll be happier both in the short and the long run.

best of luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey
I'm yet to see these 2 schools compared, and being that they both seem to have quite happy students and good research + academics, I'm interested in seeing what people think. I think both are great schools, which is complicating my decision.. Sinai's about $10k/yr cheaper, and in NYC which is 1000x better than LA. I figure Sinai has an overall better reputation but I was really impressed by Keck and I think it's on its way up. Both schools appeared to have a content and motivated student body, and an administration that is student-friendly. Sinai's research interests are closer to mine, but there is also ample opportunity at Keck to do what I want in that arena. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

dude...you just told us that sinai is 40k overall cheaper and that you like NYC way more than LA.....

so why did you make a thread for this????

keck all the way... at least you can root for the best football team in the country

usc is very popular where im from. i do not know much abou mssm, but i assume its great since from the states.

dude...you just told us that sinai is 40k overall cheaper and that you like NYC way more than LA.....

so why did you make a thread for this????

Ehh, I didn't think I'd have to spell something like this out, but I guess I do. Yes, it's 40k cheaper. But 40k/280k isn't going to make or break my decision if there are other factors. Also, yes, I love New York. But most of my NY experience will be within a 2 square block area that includes the med school, the hospital, and my dorm. And the cold. I was laying out my reasons to prefer Sinai, which are fairly trivial. Location and that much money wouldn't make my decision if there were more substantial factors pulling me to Keck, and I was looking to see if anyone could put some of those forward.

If the thread bothers you, you don't have to reply. You don't even have to click on it. I'm sure there's a PS help thread that someone needs looked at stat.

Ehh, I didn't think I'd have to spell something like this out, but I guess I do. Yes, it's 40k cheaper. But 40k/280k isn't going to make or break my decision if there are other factors. Also, yes, I love New York. But most of my NY experience will be within a 2 square block area that includes the med school, the hospital, and my dorm. And the cold. I was laying out my reasons to prefer Sinai, which are fairly trivial. Location and that much money wouldn't make my decision if there were more substantial factors pulling me to Keck, and I was looking to see if anyone could put some of those forward.

If the thread bothers you, you don't have to reply. You don't even have to click on it. I'm sure there's a PS help thread that someone needs looked at stat.

If other people have to tell you why you should go to Keck, then you've already decided in your head where you want to go. Stop thinking about "what-ifs" and pick the a) cheaper school b) school with the better location and c) school with closer research interests.

NEXT!

Umm, follow your own advice and only reply to the replies you find helpful.

Frankly, the poster you are knocking has the same underlying question that many of the rest of us have, namely what exactly is the question here? Seems like a slam dunk no brainer to me...unless this is a thinly veiled "which is more prestigious and will lead to a better residency?" question...

The question was a simple elicitation of peoples' opinions. I have made up my mind, but being that it was not a slam-dunk decision I figure it's worth hearing what others have to say. I already know which is more prestigious and can lead to a better residency, so I wouldn't need to ask that, direct or veiled in any way.

There is a difference between replying to a post saying "why did you start this thread" in a thread you started and going into a thread simply to ask why it was posted.

The question was a simple elicitation of peoples' opinions. I have made up my mind, but being that it was not a slam-dunk decision I figure it's worth hearing what others have to say. I already know which is more prestigious and can lead to a better residency, so I wouldn't need to ask that, direct or veiled in any way.

There is a difference between replying to a post saying "why did you start this thread" in a thread you started and going into a thread simply to ask why it was posted.

....me asking why you started this thread was a rhetorical question. by asking that i ws implying "GO TO MOUNT SINAI, YOU ALREADY KNOW YOUR OWN ANSWER!" but it seems like you're waiting for someone to come along and tug you towards usc because cost and location are NOT important factors for you (LMAO :laugh:). okay lemme seeee.......usc has cuter looking buildings? i could be off though. sinai has semi-cute buildings and usc has legitimately cute buildings. thats a toughie.

You know something, then, that nobody including god knows...

And if you have already made up your mind, WHY did you start this thread?

I guess I'll post something constructive here. I'm from LA, and now I'm living in NYC. Moving out of LA and into NYC was an amazing experience for me. NYC is a unique city and would ABSOLUTELY recommend SoCal people to get out of there and see what other parts of the country have to offer. If you plan on coming back to CA for your residency, this will most likely be your last chance to do so, and I would take it if I were you.

One thing I really like about nyc, is the public transportation, with a $80 metrocard/month, you can go anywhere anytime, it runs 24/7. Plus, the night life is unbeatable here. LA has a good night life too, but its more superficial and fake, which is the case for the entire city in general. Its really amazing how much you can continue to explore in the city. The other day I hung out with a friend of at a place which is full of bars and young people, he absolutely amazed despite living in the city for 5 years !! he told me he never stepped in that part before.

One thing that definitely LA beats NYC in is, as you can already guess, the weather. LA typically has beautiful weather year round, not the case so much here in NYC.

I think it comes down to a new experience, better school and cheaper tuition, so you should definitely take it. Let me know if you have any questions about NYC. I will most likely be spending the next 4 years of my life in NYC as well, studying at NYU.

I guess I'll post something constructive here. I'm from LA, and now I'm living in NYC. Moving out of LA and into NYC was an amazing experience for me. NYC is a unique city and would ABSOLUTELY recommend SoCal people to get out of there and see what other parts of the country have to offer. If you plan on coming back to CA for your residency, this will most likely be your last chance to do so, and I would take it if I were you.

One thing I really like about nyc, is the public transportation, with a $80 metrocard/month, you can go anywhere anytime, it runs 24/7. Plus, the night life is unbeatable here. LA has a good night life too, but its more superficial and fake, which is the case for the entire city in general. Its really amazing how much you can continue to explore in the city. The other day I hung out with a friend of at a place which is full of bars and young people, he absolutely amazed despite living in the city for 5 years !! he told me he never stepped in that part before.

One thing that definitely LA beats NYC in is, as you can already guess, the weather. LA typically has beautiful weather year round, not the case so much here in NYC.

I think it comes down to a new experience, better school and cheaper tuition, so you should definitely take it. Let me know if you have any questions about NYC. I will most likely be spending the next 4 years of my life in NYC as well, studying at NYU.

:thumbup: