MSTP application advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flying_Banjo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm interested in becoming an Md-PhD, but I am unsure if I'm a very strong applicant. I am finishing my B.S. in medicinal chem and am also a 4+1 physics student (I will graduate Spring 2017 with my masters).

I'll start of with my most obvious weaknesses:
Gpa is only 3.5
Planning on taking MCAT in April, so no scores to reference yet.
I went to an academically hum drum college (it does have fantastic research facilities though).

Other experience:

I am doing original research exploring cancer metastasis for my master's project, which I'll have spent 2 years on by graduation.

My project advisor was the director of an ivy league research institute and is currently the director of another large research institute. (I'm keeping this vague in the interest of annonymity. They are also an md phd). Assuming I do well with my defence, I can reasonably expect a letter of rec from them. I'm extremely lucky to have them as my project advisor.

I've worked as a supplemental instructor for two years for various science courses (It's like being a TA but with a more active teaching and mentoring role).

I have two and a half years of documented volunteering + 6 months volunteer experience at a hospital + 1 year as treasurer of a volunteer service organization.

I have a minor in a foreign language and I speak it fairly well. I also studied abroad, if it matters.

6 months research experience in electrical chem during my undergrad.

I'm a research mentor (I try to motivate freshmen to become interested in undergraduate research and present my research at various conferences).

I think having started my masters while still an undergraduate could be considered a strength because it indicates I can handle a large work load and have experience doing two academic programs at once.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and honest feedback is greatly appreciated:) I know without an mcat score it's tough to gauge anything, but any comments from someone who has a good understanding of md phd programs would still be nice.

I am primarily interested in research and am intrigued by MSTP programs because it would strengthen my ability to do translational research. A regular PhD program is my backup plan.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I'm new to this forum.

Members don't see this ad.

I think a lot will depend on your MCAT. You will have to do very well to balance out your GPA.

Research seems good, especially since it was independent and will culminate in a thesis you must present to obtain the masters. GPA is low for MD/PhD but with a strong MCAT you could probably be ok and definitely be ok for some MD.

Please see the "what are my chances" sticky at the top of this forum for more detailed info on how people are going to make judgements on your stats