MSTP chances - 38R - 3.75c - 3.9s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
By the time I apply, I will have graduated from school.
Science GPA is higher because I kinda slacked freshman year but didn't take any science classes

Research
2 summers part-time research
1.5 semesters and another 2 summers in one lab (probably no pubs, but who knows)
2 semesters of public health research project

I think 3 good letters of rec, from professors who know me well.

The lab is more of a basic science lab, not much clinical application. I'm thinking of applying for a free 5th year masters program my school does. I'm interested in what I'm doing in the lab, but also can get easily bored with the tedium. I need to take a year off anyway. Should I do the masters program? or maybe just do a year of research somewhere?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers and research experience make you competitive. Hopefully you also have the ECs expected of a med school applicant, too, ie, clinical experience, shadowing, leadership, teaching. Doing whatever you need to do to recharge your batteries during your gap year seems like a good plan. The problem with starting a masters is that you'd be expected to have completed all requirements before matriculating in the MSTP. And things don't always go as smoothly as one would wish with project completion and advisor expectations. But maybe your school can guarantee a completion date. And they might be more supportive of having you take off time for interviews than a job would be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do the master's program. Take your year off to earn money instead of going into more debt.

you have great stats!