mstp interview season 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

u2psalm40

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm preparing to interview in a week!!
so
1)I'm wondering about how to present my research.. should I do an all-detail speech at first (showing why we did the research, what it means, what i would do in the future), or should I give an abbreviated version then fill in the details as they ask more questions.

2) powerpoint handout? copy of research paper? copy of publication?
should i bring these for my file? who would i give them to?

3) reading posts from past years, it seems that there's a good bit of 'quiz show' type science questions. any examples, esp. geared toward MSTP admissions (that you heard over and over again)?

thx and good luck to all

Members don't see this ad.

1. Absolutely no handouts, papers, presentations, etc. You will not only have no time or opportunity to use them effectively, but you will come off about as anal of a gunner to the committee members as you will to your fellow applicants.

2. Definitely short and to the point - what that, however, means is exactly what you mentioned: background, what you did (sparse detail), what you might do in the future, and - most importantly - why you did it (why should the person you're talking to care). Include self critisism, offer solutions.

3. The rest will come, they will ask you questions.

4. Know your stuff and related research in detail, but keep it until asked.

5. Be attentive to your interviewer's presentation (oh, believe me there will be many of them), and ASK THEM QUESTIONS.

Good luck.

thx surge

1) I was just putting things out there that I'd come across on the forum. though some ideas were pretty hard core.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, don't worry.
It came off a little harsh, but I wasn't trying to suggest that you personally wanted to do it.
I just wanted - and still do - let everyone know that it's not the best idea.

If you have any other more specific questions, feel free to ask.