MSTP Letter of Recommendation Advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwang08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new here, and I am in a dilemma. Some MSTP programs require letters from all research experiences. However, I was unsure I wanted to pursue medicine upon entering college, and numerous college research and clinical experiences have completely altered my mind. Having said that, I did a summer program in high school after Junior year, and lost contact with my mentor back then. Will schools that "high recommend" letters from all mentors (i.e. require an explanation for letters not received) frown greatly upon not having a letter for this reason, or is it imperative that I re-establish contact and ask extremely politely?

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

No, they won't. I didn't mention any of my pre-college research, as I, too, lost contact over the decade or so since I'd done the research, and I didn't have ones from every professor during college, as one ended up moving to a different country. As long as you have the major ones, it shouldn't be a problem. They just don't want you to submit only one letter or omit someone who might not recommend you as highly as you want...

Thank you Lil Mick. That makes a good deal of sense.