MSTP Numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docuw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do the numbers (MCAT/GPA) for matriculating MSTP students usually compare to those just going for the MD? I would think the numbers would be a bit lower because of the low number of people going that route. I do know, that getting into those programs are tough. so...???

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, the numbers for MSTP matriculants are higher than the normal MD pool.

There are less total MSTP applicants, but the total number of available MSTP slots at medical programs is very, very low even by medical school standards. Its not uncommon for an MSTP program to take fewer than 10 students per year out of an applicant pool of 400-800.

Overall, its harder to get into an MSTP program than an MD program. There are some MD/PhD programs that are NOT MSTP (i.e. supported by funds from the National Institutes of Health). These programs are slightly easier to get into than fully funded MSTP programs, but still harder to gain admittance compared to normal MD programs.

I'm not sure if AMCAS keeps track of the numbers of MSTP applicants every year, since I dont seem to remember it being listed with all of their other applicant data. Maybe they lump all MD and MSTP applicants together.

I'm not sure what the average MCAT/GPA for a matriculated MSTP student is, but I would say that a good estimate nationwide would be 34 MCAT and 3.8 GPA.

Yeah, I think that baylor is right.

I was thinking about the MD/PHD for a while, and the numbers required were significantly higher than they were for the MD route. At the Yale MSTP program, for example, the avg numbers for accepted applicants were a 3.8 gpa and a 36 MCAT two years ago.

I think the criteria for selection is a bit different as well. You need to have research experience up the wazoo and (preferably) a publication or two. The emphasis here is on your analytical skills and whether you can 'cut' it in research, rather than purely your humanitarian qualities. (I'm not saying they ignore these, though.)

Another route to try, if your numbers are low, is to get into the PhD program in the school of your choice, and apply to the MD program at the school a year or two later. I have a friend in the UCSF biophysics program who hopes to do that. Or, you can get into the MD program first and apply to the PhD program after the first or 2nd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another thing to keep in mind, if you are interested in research, you can do research with just an MD. Just look up the faculty of a med school. A lot of those doing research will be just MDs. I considered applying to MD/PhD for a while but was convinced that these are only for people who are TOTALLY sure they want to committ to 3 full years of research (to get the PhD). I didnt' feel like I could say that for certain, so I'll go to med school (knock on wood) find a lab part time, fuller time over the summers, and keep research a side interest which I think suits me better.

Posters above are correct, these programs are more selective than MD and they are looking for a different applicant, one with a HEAVY research background. Strong letters from PI is a must. 35+ mcat is likely needed to make you competitive.

good luck

Coop is right, you can do research having only an MD.

The question is, what is your goal? Do you want to be mainly an MD who does some research on the side? Or do you want to be a doctor with a strong research career?

MD/PhD makes you more competitive for research grants and some residencies, and it allows you to jump into hardcore research immediately.

Originally posted by docuw:
•How do the numbers (MCAT/GPA) for matriculating MSTP students usually compare to those just going for the MD? I would think the numbers would be a bit lower because of the low number of people going that route. I do know, that getting into those programs are tough. so...???•

As an MSTP applicant who just went through the entire application process, I can certainly confirm that while the numbers in general are higher for the MSTPs, the other requirements and criteria are VERY different. Most of the schools I interviewed at had average MCATs for regular med students as 32 or so range, but for MSTPs >35. Not that you can't get in without a high MCAT, but you must have some extraordinary research experience to overcome an MCAT score below, say, 32. Definitely a year or two of continuous, rigorous research activity is necessary as well--applications are grilled on their research experiences during their interviews.

That said, I would mention that the MSTPs are a very select and rather elite crowd, even for the applicants. Yes, some schools have 300, 400, applications, but they only interview 60-80. And these 60-80 tend to be the same people at all the top schools. What this means is that while you need some basic qualifications of high MCAT/GPA to get interviews, once you meet the qualifications you are pretty much assured a spot in an MST program. Since all the top programs are fighting for the same select group of applications, pretty much every person I met on my interviews got accepted to multiple programs. Bottom line: meet basic requirements (1-2 years of research, GPA above 3.6, MCAT over 33) and you'll be fine.

Word. Let me break down my situation. I applied last year, and am on a deferral year. I had a 3.3 from a top 15 undergrad, 30R (10-10-10), good research, leadership, and seventh authorship on a publication (big deal). I got into 6 MDPHDs, 5 of which were MSTPs, had 7 interviews and most of them were in the top 30. Not a great amount of success, but considering my numbers I think I did ok. The key is presentation. Come up with good answers for the basic questions, prepare your apps especially the secondaries to seem like you are a good fit for the school (an often missed part of the application process), make a theme for your application (can change to fit what you percieve to be the focus of the school), and good recs. You should also be able to speak intelligently about your research- what you did, what the general field is doing, how your project fits in, what the future of the field might look like etc. Oh, and I got into 0 MD programs (I applied to more of these than MDPhD) and got 0 MD only interviews (this might have been because I had only a few meaningful clinical experiences). Good Luck.