MSTP requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lena20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that MSTPs are very selective, but am not entirely sure what kind of stats are needed to apply to these programs. What are the average gpas and MCAT scores of successful applicants? Is it harder to get accepted MSTP then just MD? I've also heard that MSTPs focus more on how much research experience you have than on clinical experiences such as volunteering. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

lena20 said:
I've heard that MSTPs are very selective, but am not entirely sure what kind of stats are needed to apply to these programs. What are the average gpas and MCAT scores of successful applicants? Is it harder to get accepted MSTP then just MD? I've also heard that MSTPs focus more on how much research experience you have than on clinical experiences such as volunteering. Is this true?

This thread may help:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=64282

or try:

www.intransit.us

I'd bet that the stats run just slightly above the middle 50s for the med schools, although i've never seen such stats posted. As far as being accepted to MSTPs, it's almost a completely different animal from being accepted to med school. MSTPs tend to attract a different type of applicant as most are geared towards producing physicnan-SCIENTISTS (although not all programs are this way). Research experience is Much more heavily weighted - but, of course, not to the exclusion of clinical things.
In short, there is no easy answer to this, but, if you love research and have been farily heavily involved in it during undergrad, MD/PhD programs are worth a look.

lena20 said:
What are the average gpas and MCAT scores of successful applicants?

It's difficult to say - since most schools don't give out this information - WashU, and Baylor do, but I can't remember anyone else that does. They both claim around a 3.8 and a 35 if I recall correctly. These numbers are probably a bit higher than most MSTPs, but this would just be a guess on my part. Luckily, you don't need these stats to get in - I think stats are one of the less important aspects of the application. If you want to do MSTP, then you'll be sitting pretty with lower stats as long as you have the research background - and letters - to justify letting you into the program.

lena20 said:
Is it harder to get accepted MSTP then just MD?

Depends. If you have two science papers, no volunteering, and VERY minimal clinical experience, then yes you will have a much simplier time getting into an MSTP than a medical school. However, If you have a balanced application that has some research, volunteering, and clinical experience - then you'd probably have an easier time getting accepted to just medical school.

lena20 said:
I've also heard that MSTPs focus more on how much research experience you have than on clinical experiences such as volunteering. Is this true?

Yes.