MSTP Secondary App. Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i am still missing the mayo and the UT southwestern secondaries. has anyone received these?

There is no UT Southwestern secondary (wooo!!!). Just mail your LORs to the MSTP office and you're done! No secondary, no secondary fee....pretty wonderful...

-j

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone elses UPenn status changed from "your file is complete and under review" to just "complete"?. I'm slightly disheartened by this and assume a rejection will ensue.

I doubt it means much. Mine has been 'just' complete since early July. Maybe it's because Penn doesn't have rolling admissions? Either way I can't imagine getting a pre-interview rejection from Penn this early in the game.

-j

can someone clarify how mayo sends the secondary application? is it by email? when did you receive it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an e-mail from Stanford inviting me to complete the secondary. The website is https://med.stanford.edu/aes/.

edit: it's the worst secondary in terms of essays that I've seen yet.

Would you mind posting the essays?

For the MSTP-specific questions (starting with "describe your most significant research experience"), the instructions state that you can reuse things from AMCAS as long as you don't simply write "refer to AMCAS...".

The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school.
The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
Please limit your answer to 2,000 characters including spaces.

Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario [one of five or so options, e.g., academic medicine]? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?
Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

The Stanford School of Medicine curriculum integrates the scientific basis of medicine with clinical practice. A key element of this curriculum is a requirement for in-depth didactic and scholarly activities through participation in a scholarly concentration of your choice. Details of the curriculum and scholarly concentrations are available at http://med.stanford.edu/md/curriculum, which we ask you to review prior to answering the following essay question.
How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals?
Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

Describe your most significant research experience. Include the rationale, results, and conclusions, and the role you played in each of these components.
Please be very specific, including the dates and amount of time you were so engaged. For publications or presentations that resulted or will result from this work, include a complete citation with the names of all authors and the status (e.g. submitted, in preparation).
Please limit your answer to 2,500 characters including spaces.

Please describe in a short paragraph your educational and family background.
e.g. I grew up in New York City, as the 3rd child of a high school principal and homemaker. I attended Mann High School where my major interests were boxing and drama.
Please limit your answer to 500 characters including spaces.

Describe your reasons for pursuing medical scientist training in relation to your long-term career goals? Why are you applying to a combined degree program rather than graduate or medical school only?
Please limit your answer to 800 characters including spaces.

Describe your current lab affiliation and the weekly time commitment required. (e.g. I am working in the Griffin lab where I performed research in the summer following junior year for 20 hours per week)

Describe any other research experiences you think would be relevant to the MSTP admissions committee decision.

Describe any patient-related, teaching, and service-oriented activities relevant to the MSTP admissions committee decision.
Please limit your answer to 600 characters including spaces.

Describe any other aspect of your background you think would be relevant to the MSTP admissions committee decision.

yay! i got the mayo secondary today...i think all my secondaries are in!!!

*sigh* Duke and Stanford secondaries are really killing my morale. 13 down, 6 more to go! Anyone else getting burned out?

*sigh* Duke and Stanford secondaries are really killing my morale. 13 down, 6 more to go! Anyone else getting burned out?

Tell me about it. I've already decided (as stated in another thread) to w/draw from Duke. The secondary wasn't the only reason; it just helped facilitate the decision-making process. ;)

13? Good for you! I've been procrastinating on the 13th and final one on my list for maybe a week or so now. Definitely by Sunday. Stony Brook will be done by Sunday. So it is written on SDN, so it shall be done.:thumbup:

Good :luck:!

-Mbound

Yeah I've been dragging my feet on Duke's secondary (plus Northwestern, Vanderbilt and Mount Sinai)....at least you got a Stanford secondary! Still no word for me....I mean, I could start the secondary online (maybe?) but the instructions say not to register until you get an email from them....*sigh* I am getting limited Cali-love these days

-j

Yeah I too am seriously considering withdrawing from duke. Stanford's application is long but reasonable. Duke's just doesn't make any sense to me. Most significant moral or ethical dilemma I have EVER faced?
Crap I don't know!

Yeah I too am seriously considering withdrawing from duke. Stanford's application is long but reasonable. Duke's just doesn't make any sense to me. Most significant moral or ethical dilemma I have EVER faced?
Crap I don't know!

haha... yeah... I'm *this close to finishing Duke's, but I could've done 5 secondaries in the time it took...

Haven't gotten Stanford's yet. Has any other OOS gotten it?

Very. I'm so sick of writing essays and filling out online forms. The sad part is, waiting for interviews and decisions is probably going to be even more interminable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very. I'm so sick of writing essays and filling out online forms. The sad part is, waiting for interviews and decisions is probably going to be even more interminable.

Well, at least all we'll have to do is wait! Plus, I'd say once our fall semester gets underway, the time will FLY even more so than usual.

please, Could somebody post the NYU secondary essays? thank you!

wooo! Finally got the Stanford secondary. Strange that it's on a Saturday morning (7am west coast time!)....maybe they do it by a computer program based on AMCAS submission date?

not nearly so grumpy now (albeit with more work)

-j

NYU didn't have any essays, unless you've taken time off of school.

I don't think I have to submit anything to UW for proof of permanent residency (not a Wash resident) but I thought I'd double check....

did anyone do anything about residency for UW?

-j

I don't think I have to submit anything to UW for proof of permanent residency (not a Wash resident) but I thought I'd double check....

did anyone do anything about residency for UW?

-j

I talked to the program, and no, don't worry about the residency stuff unless you hail from the evergreen state.

would anybody mind posting the Mount Sinai secondary? I'm saw it in the MD forum, but was not sure if there is a special mstp secondary application. i can't find an updated website either. thank you!

would anybody mind posting the Mount Sinai secondary? I'm saw it in the MD forum, but was not sure if there is a special mstp secondary application. i can't find an updated website either. thank you!

What makes you special, someone who will add to the Mount Sinai community?

Indicate the reasons for your specific interest in Mount Sinai.

What are your reasons for choosing to apply to the Mount Sinai School of Medicine MD/PhD program?

Provide a one sentence summary of your current research interests:

I think most were about 200 - 250 word limit and one of the essays is optional (Indicate specific interest one I believe)

-j

What makes you special, someone who will add to the Mount Sinai community?

Indicate the reasons for your specific interest in Mount Sinai.

What are your reasons for choosing to apply to the Mount Sinai School of Medicine MD/PhD program?

Provide a one sentence summary of your current research interests:

I think most were about 200 - 250 word limit and one of the essays is optional (Indicate specific interest one I believe)

-j

The first one is 250 then second 2 are 200. I personally don't consider the second essay optional, although it is, because they ask why Mount Sinai.

The first one is 250 then second 2 are 200. I personally don't consider the second essay optional, although it is, because they ask why Mount Sinai.

Yeah, but I think because we're MD/Phd questions 2 and 3 are a little too similar. "Why Mount Sinai" "Why Mount Sinai MSTP" - my reasons are the same for both so I only answered one.

I'm think that question 2 is asked of all MD applicants whereas question 3 is asked only for MD/PhD applicants - why we're asked both, however is beyond me.....

-j

Yeah, but I think because we're MD/Phd questions 2 and 3 are a little too similar. "Why Mount Sinai" "Why Mount Sinai MSTP" - my reasons are the same for both so I only answered one.

I'm think that question 2 is asked of all MD applicants whereas question 3 is asked only for MD/PhD applicants - why we're asked both, however is beyond me.....

-j

That makes sense, but since Mount Sinai is in NY, its a school I'd like to go to even if its not MDPhD. So if they foreword my application to the MD program, I'd like them to see it. So I wrote the first one just about the MD program, and the second only about the MDPhD.

But I do see your point.

On an entirely different note, have any of you gotten the Davis secondary, or did they just send it out to strict MD people?

Could someone please post the questions to the Chicago secondary? I can only find the MD only questions online and don't know if they are the same. Thanks so much!

i downloaded the northwestern secondary from their website. It says "note your responses have word counts," but i don't see any words counts listed. does anybody know what these are? thank you!!!!

Did everyone else answer the Yale "anything else to add" optional question? If so, what did you talk about> After the 500 word "why Yale" and the one-page "what graduate program" question, I am not really in the mood to write more, but I was thinking maybe talk about the honors thesis project I am just starting. Its an ethics/medical decision-making project so I think its pretty unique/cool. Maybe I should go with an essay about something non-academic though. Thoughts?

Did everyone else answer the Yale "anything else to add" optional question? If so, what did you talk about> After the 500 word "why Yale" and the one-page "what graduate program" question, I am not really in the mood to write more, but I was thinking maybe talk about the honors thesis project I am just starting. Its an ethics/medical decision-making project so I think its pretty unique/cool. Maybe I should go with an essay about something non-academic though. Thoughts?

I did an essay about things non-academic.

I just checked my UCSF Status:

Congratulations. We want to know more about you.

You are invited to submit a secondary application.

* Secondary Form (enter on-line, save and print - RTF)
* Secondary Form (enter on-line and print or print and use typewriter - PDF)

Please submit a secondary application and any additional forms listed below as soon as possible but no later than four weeks from the date you first received this invitation. Please carefully follow the specific instructions included in our secondary application.

I'll try to get the questions up later this weekend if anybody is interested.

yes please!

Sorry, nobody asked so I never got around to it. Basically, it's really easy. Fill out list of recommenders, contact info., etc. Sign a couple waivers, fill out the same info. again for the MSTP section, check areas of interest, then the following essays:

RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
List the research projects on which you have worked below.

RESEARCH DESCRIPTION
Please describe your most recent research project.

PUBLICATIONS
Please list publications, honors, and presentations resulting from your research experience.

RESEARCH TRAINING PLANS
Please describe briefly your reasons for applying to MSTP.

So that's it. On the UCSF website it says that you can reproduce your AMCAS research essay for the research description, and you can reproduce your AMCAS MD/PhD essay for the research training plans essay, so I did.

Overall it took me just a few hours.

So I STILL haven't gotten the UC Davis secondary! Could someone post the questions so I can get it done in case they aren't rejecting me? TIA!

The School of Medicine seeks individuals whose future contributions to a career in medicine cannot be determined solely by grades and test scores. Your responses to the following questions will aid the Admissions Committee in identifying the kinds of experiences an applicant has had which reflect the qualities needed to contribute to the health care needs of this state and throughout the country. Limit = 600 characters for each question.

Describe a difficult situation you have had to overcome in your life or during your college academic experience. How do you feel this will prepare you for a career in medicine?

Who would you consider to be the most influential person in your life and why?

Each applicant brings with them goals of what they want to accomplish as a physician. They also have their larger dreams with regards to what they hope to accomplish in their lifetime. In a brief paragraph, please describe how you would want to be remembered at the end of your life.

The UCD School of Medicine offers a broad and diverse range of educational opportunities for our students. The extent of careers that our graduates achieve includes the entire gamut of medical practice, from that of the primary physician to academic physicians in teaching and research institutions. For the latter, a predoctoral academic program that combines the MD program with that of a Ph.D. is often chosen. The UCD School of Medicine offers a dual degree Physician Scientist Training Program (PSTP) for suitably qualified candidates. The Ph.D. segment of this program may be undertaken in any of the graduate programs on the entire UC Davis campus. There is a broad diversity of programs from which to select, including the typical MD/Ph.D. tracks in biomedical sciences and biomedical engineering, but the program can also encompass the social sciences, humanities and economics. The goal of the dual degree program is to train academic physicians to be able to make important contributions to medical care and education in the 21st century.
If you are interested in the PSTP (Physician Scientist Training Program, M.D./Ph.D.) that might allow you to meet some of the above aims, please provide a supplementary essay that would indicate your interest in pursuing a dual degree. Your comments should include your research background and reasons for pursuing a combined degree program. Limit your response to 6000 characters.

See above. UCSF received my verified primary on 8/7. 3.66, 35, with ass-loads of research and volunteering. Also, I'm a Cali resident. Cheers!

Well, I just finished the WashU secondary. Easy pie! No considerable writing (just a paragraph blurb on your research interests) and not too many check-boxes. It took me less than an hour to complete. WashU does, however, ask you for a few funny bits of info, like how many hours per week you worked a paying job and your high school GPA/SAT/ACT!

Will you count hours worked in research lab and recieved research scholarship for it? I worked less in senior year because of the scholarship.

Does this mean that if you already answer "why you want to go into medicine" in your AMCAS PS, you have to write a whole new essay and try to answer the question in another way? That's hard.

Are you guys going with your AMCAS essays for Case? I've updated my Sig Research essay since AMCAS submission, and will be using this version for secondaries.

What about "Why MD/PhD"? I shudder at creating the same essay re-worded (though, I already did that for Kentucky's "Please tell us why you want to go into medicine, don't use your AMCAS PS" prompt).

I got UNC's email too. I was pumped about that - I would love to go there.

I'm really bad at this type of question....donno what to write...

Describe any other aspect of your background you think would be relevant to the MSTP admissions committee decision.

Generally how long do you have to complete these secondaries (on average, or shortest and longest times) and if you submit your primary earlier is your submission deadline for a secondary earlier than someone who submits a primary later?

I have to worry about these things because I don't work in the US and spend a lot of time in the middle of nowhere without internet access (but with PCR machines!!)