MSTP, surgery, and severe miopia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyolik

Reaction score
More crazy but important questions... Will I be able to become a surgeon if I go through the MSTP route? I understand that this is, probably, even more difficult. One more question: can one consider surgery if they are highly miopic?

Members don't see this ad.

Some surgery fields are highly academic. Off the top of my head I can think of neurosurgery, surgical oncology, even ortho. If you look at match lists of MSTP programs around the country you'll generally see at least one match into a surgical specialty. I think it's not quite as easy as going into internal medicine or pediatrics due to the technical skill required though. For instance as a patient do you want the neurosurgeon who only operates 20% of the time? Or the neurosurgeon who is in the operating room daily and operates 80% of the time? I think it's something to consider.

As for being myopic and going into surgery I can't answer that. I would ask a practicing surgeon if they have any myopic colleagues.

Are you asking if you can do surgery and wear glasses? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

You train as an MD and a PhD. You can decide to use either degree however you want. If you want to be a surgeon AND a scientist, you're a masochist and good luck to you.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you certainly can. There are several MSTPs that see a good share of their students match into surgery and go on to have great careers in both research and surgery. PM me if you'd like to discuss it in detail.

I'm an MD/PhD surgeon. I do clinic 2 days a week. The other 3 days are a balance of research, admin, and surgery. As I bring in more research funding, my clinic responsibilities will contract. I am fortunate to have a niche surgical skillset. My advice from the faculty MD/PhD surgeon standpoint is that the most important slice of your career will be your post-residency fellowship. So make sure you choose that wisely. By that point it won't matter (much) where you did your MD, PhD, or residency.

To your other question: I wear glasses.

I'm an MD/PhD surgeon. I do clinic 2 days a week. The other 3 days are a balance of research, admin, and surgery. As I bring in more research funding, my clinic responsibilities will contract. I am fortunate to have a niche surgical skillset. My advice from the faculty MD/PhD surgeon standpoint is that the most important slice of your career will be your post-residency fellowship. So make sure you choose that wisely. By that point it won't matter (much) where you did your MD, PhD, or residency.

To your other question: I wear glasses.
unfortunately, my glasses are -12 diopters glasses :(